Cordless drill, possibly Makita

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Cordless drill, possibly Makita

Post by Rachel »

Okay, can you tell I'm gearing up for a project? :-)

This time it's drills. I've finally come to accept that my favorite old cordless Makita will have to be replaced. I loved that drill - it was my first cordless tool - but the battery design has changed and I can no longer fit a new one in it. Also, it might be nice to get a bit more power this time around.

I haven't researched yet, except to heft a few at the tool store (Makita, DeWalt, Milwaukee and a few others). The reason I chose the Makita the first time around was that it just felt right in my hand, and I have to say that it's the same now.

So, does anyone have any reasons why I shouldn't just go with the Makita this time around, too? Anyone hate them for good reason? I'm thinking 12v because I don't want to heft anything too huge, but I'm open to suggestions. I do have a big-old corded Black and Decker (1/2"?) for when I really need the power or I want a second drill at the ready.

Thanks ahead --- R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

...but the battery design has changed
I think you can still get the old style batteries. Is it the 7 or 9 volt you are looking for? Funny thing. The new style with the big battery below the grip feels better when you pick it up in the store but after several hours it makes your wrists sore like the old style never did. I love my old style and don't plan on upgrading. I am sure there are comparable brands now but Makita is never a bad idea when talking cordless drills.

-Britton
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I use a corded Makita that is, as far as I can tell, bullet-proof. I'm not graceful and my tools do take some abuse - and this one has held up well. It's not heavy and it does have a nice fit. I can only assume the cordless would be up to the same standards. You may want to check Amazon.com for some user reviews - they have them for many tools, perhaps this drill is reviewed.

More importantly, do you have your Porter Cable DA sander yet? It's the best tool I've got for boat restoration. Well, perhaps it's second to my hammer - but nonetheless, you HAVE to have it.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Old style batteries

Post by Rachel »

Okay, maybe I'll look a bit harder into replacing my batteries. It's been awhile since I checked, and at the time it seemed not to be sensible, but I do really like that drill and its light weight. I think I may also have suspected the charger, but it's been so long I can't remember...

I don't have it with me right now, but I think it was 9volt. It didn't have that long, narrow old battery, but a chunky one that attached to the bottom of the handle, like the newer ones. It used metal clips vs. the newer rubber/plastic ones, so the newer ones would no longer fit - but perhaps just the guts of the battery can be replaced?

I once dropped it from a loft I was building and the handle broke completely in half - only a few wires held the two parts together. But after a bit of adhesive it was good as new :-)

R.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

It didn't have that long, narrow old battery, but a chunky one that attached to the bottom of the handle, like the newer ones.
Ah, then I am not sure. When I referred to the old style I meant the long skinny ones.

-Britton
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If the Makitas feel right to you, then that's the right choice. I had an old 9 volt version with the long skinny battery; it died a long time ago now.

I would check for batteries first...you might just find them somewhere. I would recommend getting another drill anyway, though, since one is not enough. 12V. is a good compromise between power and weight.

I'm partial to DeWalt drills myself, and have three cordless and one corded. I used to have an older 12 volt one too, but that's dead now. I l ove the ones I have now, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another (and probably will...). They've been dropped on concrete, off high ladders, and so forth, with no real issues. The push buttons on the battery packs often break when this happens, making changing a little more difficult, but that's a minor inconvenience. It's amazing how often I use all three at once. In the summer, I keep one of them on the boat, along with its charger and spare battery (I use the inverter when it needs charging), and always miss the third one in the shop during the season. Probably time for a new one, 18V or larger.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Post by tartan30cirrus »

Rachel,

I just got the 14.4 Makita power drilled and love how much more power I get for little extra weight...in fact the 18V is hardly more weight than the 14.4 but I went with the 14.4 since I will be using it a ton at boatbuilding school next year. Love the 14.4...it really rips on the high setting and feels so much more comfy than any of the others I tested.

Cheers.
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Another good thing about the 12V units is that after a long day of hard use, when both batteries are dead, you can jump-wire it to the boat's battery and get that last little bit done before heading home.

Yes, I actually have a 16' cable with alligators soldered on the ends dedicated for this use. It sees far more action than I'd like to admit because I'm just a jackass about bringing along two batteries, but failing to check that the second battery is charged...

My brother and I chipped in on the dewalt 14.4v unit for my father's birthday last summer. I put a lot of miles on that unit when building the stimson shed (twice), and I gotta say that the 12v feels better in the hand. I'm really glad I put my foot down when my brother was pulling for the 18v or 16v or whatever it was.
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

I love my Makita 14.4. I bought it as a package with a "mini blower/vac" which is perfect in the shop and around the boat. I run my drill hard, and ended up burning up the motor last fall. $17.50 for a new motor, but replacement batteries are near $75 each, and my batteries are approaching their useful life (again, I work them hard). I may end up buying another 14.4v tool, just so I can get some new batteries. I just don't understand why these batteries are so much--but I really like the tools!
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
Tim

Post by Tim »

I have yet to replace a battery pack on my DeWalts after years of use and abuse. I have two 18 volt and one 14.4 volt. I wonder if the higher-voltage batteries hold up better?

Just musing...

In the end, comfort and ease of use for each individual situation is what matters most. I find the extra power of the heavier-duty tools to be worthwhile, but they are decidely heavy. Sometimes, a nice light one is the ticket. One possibly compelling reason to choose a larger tool is that you can often get a 1/2" chuck, which is handy for big bits, hole saws, and the like. And the larger tools have the guts to run these attachments too.

It's a small thing, but I often like to rest the drill upright on its battery...so if this is somthing you tend to do, be sure the drill you choose will balance in this way. I've used a 12-volt version that wouldn't stand up on its own. Minor irritations--but all part of the mix.

A 12 volt makes excellent sense when used on the boat, as Mike/Figment pointed out. If you're choosing a tool to use mostly onboard a boat away from shore power, this could be a good way to go, particularly if you like the feel of that size better in the first place.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

My two cents.

Post by grampianman »

I certainly do not wish to besmirch Makita, but I use a Black and Decker 12v (with two batteries) with two corded drills, one 3/8" and one 1/2" and I have no complaints. It has seen duty in rain, dust and sunshine and so far has not faltered. The 12v sold me as I had read in SAIL or some such magazine about connecting it to the boat battery when all else fails!

Cheers,
Ian
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:I have yet to replace a battery pack on my DeWalts after years of use and abuse. I have two 18 volt and one 14.4 volt. I wonder if the higher-voltage batteries hold up better?
I don't know that the higher voltage batteries are more durable. I do know that modern cordless drill battery technology is such that, contrary to conventional wisdom, you should not run the battery down to nothing. As soon as the drill starts to lose power, switch it out.
Tim

Post by Tim »

And you ought to know...hehe

(Inside joke)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Thanks!

Post by Rachel »

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I'm in Maryland, checking out this little boat, and I think I'll hold out on the drill till I get back home and can find a few more to look at. The DIY home centers here just don't have enough selection and I'd like to heft a few, and check things you all suggested, such as whether they'll stand up on the battery (good idea).

I did see one replacement battery for my old drill, but with the newer-style clips that would not easily fit - it was nearly $40. And then I'm not totally sure my old charger works either, so I will probably spring for a newer 12v model.

Thanks again - it is really good to hear from everyone.

--- Rachel
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Curmudgeon »

I've had good success with local battery stores. The one I deal with will open up the battery case and replace all the cells for a fraction of the cost of a new battery unit from the manufacturer. It's nice to be able to prolong the useful life of a faithful power tool.
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

OK,

This must be the ultimate word on which drill to choose :-)

http://www.ka5cvh.com/downloads/dewalt.mpeg
Tony
Tim

Post by Tim »

hehe...