Favorite New Tool

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Favorite New Tool

Post by Tim »

After much internal debate, I broke down a few weeks ago and bought the heavy-duty West System gear-driven pump. I had been considering it for some time, but even at wholesale it was wicked expensive.

After using many different epoxies, I come back time and again to West System. It has yet to let me down, ever. (Other brands have at one time or another.) At wholesale prices, and in larger quantities, the price is very competitive with other brands. But using those wimpy mini-pumps was just ridiculous. For a shop doing frequent and varied fiberglass repairs and installations, the gear pump is the only answer.

Now, I easily go to the pump and dispense as little or as much resin and hardener as I need, with no effort. The pump automatically meters each component perfectly, and all at once. No more struggling with obstinant mini-pumps; no more forgetting how many pumps of resin I had made versus hardener, and wasting an entire batch rather than risk the wrong ratio.

I've already forgotten the pain of the purchase price; the pump is that good.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Wow. That's just friggin cool.

(says the guy who mixed about three gallons of epoxy by eye over the last few days)