Reciprocating Saws, Blades, etc.

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Reciprocating Saws, Blades, etc.

Post by Tim »

A reciprocating saw (usually called a Sawz-All after the Milwakee brand name) is an invaluable tool for demolition. They do things that no other saw can do. My Black & Decker Quantum saw is a good workhorse.

However, I'd like to get my hands on whoever designed the blade connection interface. (It's the same on all brands--including Milwaukee--of this particular tool that I have ever used.) It involves a fussy mechanism with an internal clamping plate, which is adjusted with a upiquitous and reviled allen wrench, which is supposedly stored in a convenient rubber holder on the power cord.

The problem is that you have to loosen the allen screw so much to get the blade in or out. This drives me crazy, especially when you're attempting to remove a broken blade (which happens frequently).

Has reciprocating saw technology progressed past this sort of blade connection yet? It would be great to be able to more easily change blades.

Speaking of blades, why are they so expensive? I recently paid $11.25 for 5 bi-metal blades at Ace (Ace brand). The blades broke easily, usually right at the spot where they entered the chuck (the blades frequently get bent during normal use of the saw--that's one of the benefits of the tool, that you can cut when not directly in line). I always seem to be running out of blades, and whenever I get into a particularlly ornery cutting situation, I tend to be completely out. Why is that? :<)

I'll have to check McMaster-Carr and stock up on blades of all sorts. Maybe if I invest $100 I'll actually have what I need, when I need it! (Fat chance)

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I've seen your fastener collection, Tim. Frankly, I'm amazed that you don't have at least 30 or 40 blades on hand at all times!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Actually, I was just looking at McMaster-Carr, and see that all the new recip saws have keyless chuck systems.

I just may need to upgrade one of these days!

Tim
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Reciprocating Saws

Post by Shark »

I have a Porter Cable Tiger saw - 9.6 amps goes through almost anything. It has a really slick keyless chuck - just twist the chuck and pop in the new blade. Release it and you're good to go.

Lyman
Dave 397

Tiger Saw

Post by Dave 397 »

I gotta agree with Shark here for sure!
I've used plenty of sawzalls, but last summer's work got a tiger saw in my hands. We also had a brand new Milwaukee Super-Sawzall, and it was not near so good. After either on, though, a regular Milwaukee Sawzall (rough equivalent of my trusty old Makita) is like--"hey, what's wrong with this saw? I just changed the blade!"

Tiger Saw is the way.

Dave