JET 2-ton Chain Hoist

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

JET 2-ton Chain Hoist

Post by Tim »

One of the better tool-buying decisions I ever made was purchasing my Jet chain hoist. Back in the fall of 1999, I had just purchased the Triton that would become Glissando, and was faced with removing the Atomic 4 from that boat. Not owning any appropriate equipment, I went to the rental store and rented, for $15, a chain hoist. Faced with the 24-hour rental deadline, I slaved to remove the engine, get it on the ground, and stored away before I had to return the hoist.

A couple months later, I had opportunity to purchase (regretfully, as it turned out) a used diesel engine, and wanted to get the hoist again to make it easy to lug the thing out of my truck at home. This time, I got smart. At the rental store, you always see the signs that say, "We sell what we rent", or some such. So, I decided to buy the hoist this time, since I knew I'd need it at least a couple more times (if only I'd known what was really in store...).

I had to argue with the arrogant counter-guy for some reason.

He said, "Well, I don't know if I can sell it. I'll have to check."

I said, "Well, who do you have to check with? I don't want to rent it now for $15 and then come back to buy it later. I want to buy it right now, and not rent it for the day."

Grudgingly, he phoned whoever it was in the vast rental conglomerate's organization to determine that, yes indeed, every tool was, as advertised, actually for sale.

I think he was ready to come to fisticuffs before finally acquiescing, dear fellow, to sell me the hoist for $100. Money well spent.

The hoist features a 2-ton capacity and 20-foot lift height--more than enough to easily lower an engine from the deck to the ground. I've used it any number of times since, for engine-related work and other stuff too.

You have to be careful with the chain not to scar up something you don't want to ruin, but in a derelict boat you can spin the hoist with abandon. The hoist sure makes lifting engines a breeze.

Tim
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Hoist

Post by rshowarth »

Hi Tim-

What large conglomerate was it you purchased your hoist from? I would like to get a hoist for less than the 300 dollars for a new one.
Last edited by rshowarth on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I might be prone to slight exaggeration to enhance my story telling...

The "vast conglomerate" was a local rental store chain (several locations). Nearly all tool rental places I have seen have a policy where everything is for sale. The price will vary depending on how old the tool is, and how well the rental store's initial cost has been amortized through past tool rentals. I'm sure the rentals in your area have a similar policy, so be sure to ask them.

BTW, thank heaven I bought that hoist. It was one of my smarter decisions. I use it all the time.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I did the same thing with an OZONE GENERATOR.

250 to buy a 750 commercial unit that was 75 to rent!!!

DUH.

No brainer.

Ozone generator killed the funky boat smell and works wonders on most other smells.

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~