For grinding fiberglass

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

For grinding fiberglass

Post by Figment »

I guess I've never had occasion to do much serious grinding. Whenever a job requires more than the sander with 60grit can provide, I reach for this old B&D grinder/polisher tool that's been in my father's cabinet since before time was time. The 30grit (feels like) cloth disc with the flexible rubber pad will put a quick hurt on any finish coating. The solid grinding disc does well with metals and such.

At the moment, I'm looking forward to lots and lots of grinding to dish-out surfaces so that the biax tapes will lay flush, etc. This is more than the cloth disc is up to, but the hard grinding disc doesn't do well for prolonged work with non-metals. It gets gummed up pretty quickly. I need something in between.

Suggestions, anyone?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I find that most jobs like that can be easily handled with a DA and 40 grit paper. That's what I would use (and what I did use a few years ago when I was doing the same job). The dish-outs aren't so large or deep that this is impractical.

Is your big sander/polisher similar (at least in disc-attachment operation) to today's typical 7 or 8" grinders? If so, you can usually put a hole-in-the-middle grinding disc over the top of the hard metal-grinding disc if you need serious grinding capability. I feel that this would be too aggressive for the task at hand, though.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating