Installing interior trim

Tools you like...tools you hate...
svMira
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Mira
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Installing interior trim

Post by svMira »

The tradition method of installing trim is to drill/screw and wooden plug. Any other ways of installing wood trim? I'm trying to bridge some fibreglass/plywood joints, inside/outside 90's and the like. Not quite sure if I'm committed enough to epoxy the high traffic area pieces on, but I can hardly imagine the screw/plug being less destructive if I was ever to remove them.
Marvin - s/v Mira - 1971 Pearson Wanderer #174
svmira.ca
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Installing interior trim

Post by atomvoyager »

Sometimes on varnished wood trim that I might want to remove later I attach it with #6 or 8 brass screws flush into countersunk holes. Once it's varnished it doesn't look that bad. If the trim is small I might use small brass finishing nails after predilling with a tiny drill to ensure I don't split the wood or bend the nail. Then a nail set tool to get it below flush and brown wood putty over the hole. If the finishing nails are small enough and holes predrilled the trim can be removed by tapping in a putty knife to get clearance for a stiffer tool to pry it off. To reduce the number of nails I sometimes apply a caulk sealant to the back of the wood and only use a couple nails to hold it while the adhesive dries. Going with wood plugs is better looking than screw heads but troublesome to install and remove. I set interior plugs with a dab of varnish or water-based wood glue instead of epoxy so that they can come out later with less chance of damaging surrounding wood. When removing plugs use a piece of wood with a hole in it as a guide for the forstner bit. Maybe someone has some other ideas?