small single handle boat?
100%
or large crew oriented boat?
No votes

Total votes: 4

lindenberg

fein multitool MSX636-2

Post by lindenberg »

..so Ive ordered one today..with a little xmass money..purportedly to sand the louvers of the closet doors in the house but you know I was eyeing the boat 's storage door louvers, dont you..so has any one owned this tool and is it the one to own? Shy of the 400 dollar model that is..thanks..I get it in three days
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I splurged on a multimaster a few years ago.
I admit that it doesn't get a whole ton of use, which is a shame because it's a really well-made machine.

I think of it as a "complement" tool. That is to say, there are very few jobs for which it's the ONLY tool you'll use. But it's a great complement to whatever other tool you happen to be using at the time.

Make the bulk of the cut with a "real" saw, and just finish off the last little finicky bit with the multimaster.
Do the bulk of the sanding with a "real" sander, and just finish off the last little finicky bit with the multimaster.

And I must say that I LOVE the 12' power cord. More tools should take that approach.... either have a real cord or just have a socket to mate with an extension. What good is the 4' cord that comes with most tools? It's never enough to use on its own, yet you still have something to coil up (something to later come uncoiled) at cleanup time. rant, rant, rant.
lindenberg

it is great but

Post by lindenberg »

I am finding that the finger board (double sided) hook and loop version is a waste. that is a shame fo ra of the wonderful thought behind this product over all. I am pretty sure that the bonding holding the hook and loop felt to the sand paer heats up (very quickly) and then haets the nylon hook and loop backing on the finger board and when you stop sanding its cools well bonded together. If you are thinking well stop pressing so darn hard you simpleton I agree I though I might be doing that but no after the first one wnet Iswitched sides and then time its melt down...its about thirty secnds of light pressure (created by the wieght of the machine soley) that is all. So far two finger boards +four sides melted down to useless ness by less than four locker door sides worth of louvers. On the issue of admirable behaviour I give good credit to the Coastal Tool Company of Hartford Ct, the distributor of said tool. having called up and described the issue they said they are sending immediate replacement of the finger boards free of charge and frankly in this day and age that is enough to impress. Sure enough according to ups tracking it will arrive tuesday afternoon. Aside from this I think I will convert to stick it on with glue spray sanding paper and phase out the considrable volume of hook and loop I did purchase.. (kinda went over board there...too embarassed to admidt how much but you can imagine a tool freak with big eyes ordering on line....)
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

I bought one last week.

Used it today to:

Scrape the caulk from under the stanchion.
Cut a 2' x 8" panel from under the deck in a really inconvenient location.
Scrape the wet balsa from same panel and underside of deck.
Grind a bevel on the panel and deck for fiberglassing.
Trim the new core material.

Great tool!!!

Couldn't have done some of those jobs with any other tool.
Could have done some of them with a different tool, but not as easy.

Granted it is a pricely little devil....but what is your time worth?

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Fein Multitool

Post by rshowarth »

Did you receive the tool with the new "star" attachment setup, the intermediate round shaft with a star adapter or simply the older round shaft?

How does the adapter work if that is what you received?
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Mine has the round shaft, but the star attachment is only about $19.00 I think.

I only had the blade move on me once or twice and neither time was it an issue.

If the star gives you preset positions (as opposed to infinite) I'd be tempted to do without it.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~