Orbital sanders

Tools you like...tools you hate...
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Orbital sanders

Post by windrose »

what have you guys found to be the best orbital sander for rugged use that is reasonably priced. I am on the second Dewalt orbital sander (about $70) and the bearing on this one seem to be on there way "outta here".... it has a suspect rattle now and does not have the action it once had. Suggestions? Thanks!

Oh, look I have been upgraded, I now get to scrub the decks....YEEEHAAA!
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I can't speak highly enough of my Porter Cable. This thing is an absolute workhorse. I've had it since about 1991, and it soldiers on as well as ever. I've replaced the soft pad several times, but that's it. I would buy another one without a second's hesitation.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
LastMango

Post by LastMango »

Tim... dude!

I know you were on vacation for a while, but is that the 6" version? I couldn't find the 5" porter orbital so I ordered the 6" thinking it would be easy to locate a 5" velcro backing pad for it, but I've had no luck.

Is that just a 6" RO with a 5" pad? if so where did you get the pad?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Yes: it is the 6" version. I don't like the big pads, so I switched immediately to the 5" soft-pak. You can find those at most tool houses or autobody supply. For reference purposes, I found them at Jamestown Distributors, but that's just one place that carries these accessories. All come in 5" or 6". I have found the 5" to be a good all-around size for boat work, but some people like the 6".

This is the typical Stikit soft pak, for 5" adhesive-backed discs:

They also make a velcro-covered pad with holes for dust collection, if your sander is so equipped:

Finally, there are these soft "interface" pads, which apparently adhere to the standard hard pad that comes with the tool.

I got used to the 5" sanders a long time ago, so naturally that's what I stuck with. Eventually I look forward to getting some compressed air in the shop so that I can switch back to an air DA, which is lighter and more powerful than the electric versions. There's nothing wrong with the 6" sanding pads, if that's what you like.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
LastMango

Post by LastMango »

Thanks Tim.. that's exactly what I'd needed. I spoke with my local hardware shop (not a chain, usually pretty helpful) and they called Porter Cable without any luck.

I too love the 5" pads, mostly because both my palm RO and my compressed air sander use 5" pads so I have a few hundred sheets of most of the grits from 40 to 220. I didn't want to have to restock with 6" pads as well.
Dan

Orbital Sanders

Post by Dan »

I was reading Tim's site, a short while ago, about the sander he is describing and began to do research. I found that the Porter Cable sander comes as several different models. The drive and motor part is all the same.
The 7242 is the same motor with a 6" polishing pad on it.
The 7335 is the same motor with the 5" sanding pad on it.
the 7336 is the same motor with the 6" sanding pad on it.
And the 7336sp is the .... you guessed it, same motor with a 6" sanding pad AND the 6" polishing pad. (sp stands for sander/ polisher). The 7336sp has the cheapest price I could find. It is for sale right now at Lowes for $99.95 plus tax. That's a good price.
You can purchase the 5" pad here. http://www.porter-cable.net/porcab135sta.htm
I bought some velcro and glued it to the pad and use the hook and loop sandpaper for my finish sander. I will probably do the same thing on this machine.
I bought some good velcro from a marine store and it is lasting very well.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

I meant to pipe in on this as well?I have the 7335 with the 5 inch pad standard. But otherwise it is indeed the same DA as featured on Tim's site.