old hand tools

Tools you like...tools you hate...

old hand tools

Post by guest »

As I get older I look for simpler and more traditional ways to do things. I have also been frustrated in the past by spending lots of dollars on less than quality power tools to perform tasks that in retrospect could have been done cheaper and better (with a little more physical effort) by more traditional means. Don't get me wrong , my electric screwdriver is one of my favorite tools but I still have my dad's old Yankee and it never has a dead battery. So, here is my request: what traditional hand tools do you all find usefull ? What are things to look for or avoid when buying planes, sweep braces, chisels, etc at fleamarkets or on ebay? All the best, Michael
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I think hand tools are great. The key to hand tools is keeping them perfectly razor sharp at all times. This is where I fail miserably--I hate sharpening, am not good at it, and never manage to prioritize it. I should collect everything and bring the whole lot to a pro somewhere, but I can never even seem to bother with this. It's just one of those drudgery things for me, and I hate that I can never get off my duff and get it done. See, I'm all angry at myself now! But will I go out to the shop and sharpen my tools? Of course not. I don't even have a sharpening setup. Pathetic.

But a sharp hand tool can be far more enjoyable to use, quicker, and more effective than power tools. My own use of hand tools is mostly limited to chisels, some block planing, and hand saws. If they were all sharper, I'd use them and enjoy them more.

Any sharpening volunteers out there? :<)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

A couple of good starting places on the web for old/antique tools:

The Electronic Neanderthal

Used and Antique Tool FAQ

Old Woodworking Tools Web Resources

I would also say that good quality modern hand-tools are also a dream. No, not cheap, though top-quality older tools will also often fetch a high price. But tools like those made by Lie Nielson Toolworks and Lee Valleyare a pleasure to use and own.

Nice planes and Japanese-style pull-saws are my hand tools of choice when working with wood.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I'm also a huge fan of the japanese-type pull saws. There's just something so right about them. I need to buy a few new blades, though.

I've been using a sweep brace quite a bit lately. Again, it's all about feel.... It's hard to underdrive or overdrive a screw when using a brace.
It won't beat a cordless driver on terms of speed, though.

My small block plane is my friend.

Tim, I would think that a clean-up-as-you-go guy like yourself would also naturally be a sharpen-as-you-go guy. hmph. I guess there's just no telling.
Sharpening is actually something that I'm fairly good at, and something that I do fairly often. Perhaps it's my culinary training.
I don't know how to sharpen saws, though. Perhaps this is why I favor the japanese pullsaws.

A funny thing about using old-timey hand tools is that once people know you use them, you find yourself on the recieving end of all kinds of donations, usually in the spirit of "it's a good tool, someone ought to be using it". I now have four braces of varying vintage that arrived in this way.
lindenberg

is so good

Post by lindenberg »

japanwoodworker.com ok it is a tad pricey on some items..but I have gotten some wonderful wood chisles and planes sharp enough to split DNA ..and yeah I get kinda nostalgic because these are the tools dad and gramps would use, usually better than I do now but thats another thread.