Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

ATN Topclimber

Post by s/v Faith »

Ok, well the title of this section is;

Tools and Techniques

Tools you like...tools you hate..

So I thought I would share my thoughts on the ATN Topclimber.

I have had this torture device for 4 or 5 years now. I have used it several times and have lent it out a few times for use by other people.

It is really a terrible bit of gear.

It does do what it advertises, and allows you to get yourself aloft without help (although I do like a tender on a safety line).

The problem (IMHO) is the poor quality ascenders they use. If you get the climbing line about as taught as a guitar string you have some chance, but even then the ascenders require so much tension to be released that you have to climb quite a bit of up and down for a little bit of net gain of height.

I used it on Monday, and I am still sore... I usually know I am going to pay the piper when I take the thing out of it's bag so I thought I would share it here.

I notice they are approaching $500 at West Marine, for that money you could likely go to a climbing store and put together a pair of quality ascenders and the necessary hardware to accomplish the same thing. You could certainly buy a nice set of blocks and a length of line to set up a nice block and tackle rig.....

What do you use? Anyone else have one of these and know a secret that neither I or their web site have figured out?
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Re: ATN Topclimber

Post by barrybrown »

I used 'Mastwalkers' on my last boat and got used to having easy access to the mast, at that time they were built in Maryland they are now built in England at a higher price. I considered the ATN for this boat but most people recommended buying the components from a climbing store and building one, they agreed with you about the quality of the ascenders on the ATN also that it would cost less to build your own.
After considering all of the advantages and disatvantages of each (Mastwalkers vs ascenders) and realizing I could get a 10% discount on the Mastwalkers and not pay the 15%VAT, I chose the Mastwalkers again. They are always available, easy to climb and I suspect they turn the mast into a radar reflector. It is surprising how often they get used, mostly because they are easy to use.
Barry
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

I assembled my own Topclimber and had the experience you describe. I gave it away but it came back. I'm glad to know it wasn't my imagination that was pissing me off when I used it.
s/v Faith

Post by s/v Faith »

Barry,

Good to know. I have used similar folding steps on boats I have made deliveries on.

The Mast Walker step looks like a well made option... glad they work out for you.

1964 Pearson Ariel #226

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

Yes but can you get them in the US? They list at $40/ without shipping from the UK.
s/v Faith

Post by s/v Faith »

sscoll wrote:I assembled my own Topclimber and had the experience you describe. I gave it away but it came back. I'm glad to know it wasn't my imagination that was pissing me off when I used it.
And thank you also for the confirmation....

.... 3 days later and still sore, I am also glad I am not alone! ;)
1964 Pearson Ariel #226

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

I bought a used ATN topclimber last fall. I went up and down the mast 2 times, and really didn't have any problems with mine. I'm 57 and a liittle overweight, but once I got the hang of it, there was less effort required than I thought, and I felt secure at the top of the mast. I think it's important that the main line is the correct size and fairly non stretch.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

"They list at $40/ without shipping from the UK."

They do, but after removing the VAT and allowing the 10% discount for quantities greater than 10 the price is $31 ea. Still expensive and shipping was not cheap but they are much better than the knock offs from China. They are smaller, lighter, stronger and they can be ordered to fit the mast, Not the option for everyone because of the downsides of adding windage and weight aloft but for me the trade off was worth it for the convenience.

Barry
sscoll
Master Varnisher

Post by sscoll »

I think my main complaint was the ascender I bought from REI. I used to trim trees years back and tied my own lines. After getting used to the heights it wasn't unusual for us to jump out of trees pretty high up and let go of the knot just shy of the ground and bounce on the line without touching down. Ah youth,, definitely wasted on young people. I'd have another go at it, but it just seemed awkward to be going up a mast that way. There's all those stays and crap to work around, no nice limbs to grab a hold of.

I also built myself a ladder of canvas strapping I haul up the main sail track with the halyard. Now That is springy.
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Or there are these folding mast steps @ $24 each. http://www.maddogoutfitters.com/product ... _steps.htm
The company is in Alberta, Canada.

I use ascenders and a 4 part tackle I put together, ratchet block at the top. It works well but seemed like less work 10 years ago. The only change I will make is the chair. I have 2, one with a hard seat and one soft. I will be adding a climbing harness for more security. With a good halyard and a safety line clipped on when I am working I prefer to go alone.
brob76
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Auriga
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by brob76 »

I've had very good luck with my Topclimber. The first few times were really awkward and difficult but after I got the hang of it, it was fairly easy. I have yet to try it underway. The biggest thing is that you have to get the line really tight or you end up swing all over. I also use prusick knot around the mast for added safety.

I got mine used for a reasonable price. I certainly wouldn't pay the extortionate price Worst Marine wants for them. You could buy a professional set of ascenders for much less. Mastwalkers look like a good option for convenience but I don't think I'd like the extra weight aloft and all the holes in the mast.
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Any thoughts on just using what's on board already - a halyard, some extra line, make some loops and prusic knots, tie it all off to a harness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1RSzKkB ... re=related

It is amazing to me how manufacturers of equipment can create a dependency and charge extreme amounts of money to replace something that works very well already.
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

What's on board already? Not if you are alone.
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

mitiempo wrote:What's on board already? Not if you are alone.
I don't get it - what is not there if you're alone?

On my boat I have two safety harnesses, a bossun's chair, a gazillion lines, including many pieces of "extra line" and I know (now) how to tie a prusic knot or two.

Both of my masts have double halyards plus a topping lift.

I am always alone on my boat and I am trying to figure out a way to get up the mast once I have to...

What would you do if you found yourself in this situation without a chance to run to Evil Marine?
mitiempo

Post by mitiempo »

I misunderstood - just watched the video.

I carry a 4 part tackle with ratchet block and ascender, have 2 chairs but will get a climbing harness. I can get to the top easily. The ATN does let you get past the top for easier working up there though.
captphil416
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by captphil416 »

I fashioned my own knockoff of the topclimber with ascenders from REI. one ascender is attatched to the bosuns chair, and the other to custom fabricated foot loops. The foot loops were made from tow straps carefully sewn. A safety loop goes around the mast to control swing. I also use a lap belt on the bosuns chair. A dedicated climb line is used as the Petzel ascenders tend to tear up the halyards. I have used this for about 8 years now and would not consider any other mast climbing system. Yes there was a learning curve, but once mastered the system is bullet proof. I was even able to use it offshore when my lazy jacks broke. Sure wasn't fun, but it worked. Fair Winds Phil
s/v Faith

Post by s/v Faith »

captphil416 wrote:I fashioned my own knockoff of the topclimber with ascenders from REI. one ascender is attatched to the bosuns chair, and the other to custom fabricated foot loops. The foot loops were made from tow straps carefully sewn. A safety loop goes around the mast to control swing. I also use a lap belt on the bosuns chair. A dedicated climb line is used as the Petzel ascenders tend to tear up the halyards. I have used this for about 8 years now and would not consider any other mast climbing system. Yes there was a learning curve, but once mastered the system is bullet proof. I was even able to use it offshore when my lazy jacks broke. Sure wasn't fun, but it worked. Fair Winds Phil
Phil,

Sounds like an excellent system. I wish I had done as you did before I bought the ATN. Let this thread serve as warning to anyone else least they fall into the trap I did.

(Do you have any pictures? Maybe a link to the specific ascenders you choose that have worked out well for you?)
1964 Pearson Ariel #226

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org