Porter Cable RO Sander

Tools you like...tools you hate...
LastMango

Porter Cable RO Sander

Post by LastMango »

I just purchased the larger Porter Cable RO sander model 7336. I think this is the same one I've seen mentioned here by Tim, although I can't seem to find the post talking about his tools list.

Basically I'm trying to see if anyone knows if I can get a 5" hook-and-loop pad for this bad boy. I want to be able to use the same stock of sanding disks I use on my palm RO sander.

Anyone have any info on this? I've tried looking at Porter-cable's site and even talked to the guy down at the local owned hardware store and have come up dry.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I would think McMaster and Carr would have what you are looking for but I haven't checked. They have most everything. Tim has a section on his Glissando site for tools where he writes about his favorites and not-so-favorites. I remember he posted a link recently but I can't remember which thread it was on either.

-Britton
LastMango

Post by LastMango »

Yeah.. I looked there. Problem is I purchased the 7336 model with is the 6". I'm hoping that the threading is the same as the 5" and I can find the 5" hook and loop pads for it.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I'd put the money toward a nice startup-collection of 6" discs.

Having a pile of 5" and a pile of 6" really isn't so bad.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Scott, did you find the 5" pad for the sander?
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by heartofgold »

I just replaced my pad for this sander, I believe it was this past Tuesday. I purchased a hook and loop replacement from my local woodworking tool shop, and I had the option of either a thick or thin, a hook and loop or a smooth pad.

It is recomended that if you replace the pad, go ahead and replace the silicone band immediately beneath it as it can wear out over time. I paid $20 for the pad and $1.50 for the band.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
rshowarth

5" pad on 6" Porter Cable

Post by rshowarth »

I called Porter Cable on this issue and they advise that, if you purchase a 6 inch, it can be converted to a 5 inch by purchase of a conversion kit, which includes a new balance.
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

In case anyone is looking for a Porter Cable 5" RO sander, I found mine here:

http://www.mikestools.com/7335r-Porter- ... Recon.aspx

Factory reconditioned for $88 - same warranty as a new one. Shipping was ~$10. Best price I've found anywhere.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I've purchased multiple 6" versions from Lowes for less than $100. A common defect in the unit, at least in mine, is that the switch fails and the units won't turn on or turn on intermittently. It's happened to three of mine. An advantage of buying at a brick and mortar store is that I can just go swap them out. Of course, I don't that think Lowes carries the 5", so that may be an issue, depending on your needs.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Mike- did it have a stickit pad or was it that stupid hook and loop ones. Getting really difficult to find anything other than the hook and loop, and since I use mine daily in my shop I don't want those- TOO expensive over a years time. Might be fine for hobbiest, but when I get done with a disc It ain't worth saving. Besides, I might use a 150 disc box a month when running full tilt.

Crashed one of my old 7335s ( chunk came out of the armature) and really need a replacement. Damn thing only lasted 12 years of daily use, and only made it through 5 boats and TONS of furniture. *grin*
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

It's the "stickit" kind, that is it uses the sticky backed sanding disks.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Thanks- I bookmarked the site. Soons I get paid for THIS boat I'll be getting one.
cliffg
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Sander/Grinder

Post by cliffg »

I just read Tim's tool page today. He heartily endorses the Porter Cable 7334. There is also a thread discussing air powered sanders/tools. I have a compressor, from my building days, and am now wondering which would be better, an air powered sander/grinder or the Porter Cable. I'd be glad to hear opinions.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The typical contractor's on-site compressor for framing and roofing nailers is far too small to power pneumatic sanders. I have a 5horse compressor on a 100 gallon tank, and even that only gives me about 8-10 minutes of working time between compression sessions.
rshowarth

Counter Weight

Post by rshowarth »

Here is a link to a site where you can purchase the 5 inch counter weight and a 5 inch pad for your 6 inch PC DA Sander.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/Soft ... 1149112751
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

As Mike said, the pneumatic sander is about the most air-hungry tool out there, and you need a hefty compressor to power one. It's all about the CFM rating, and the usual contractor-type compressor just doesn't produce the required CFM. I think air sanders tend to be in the mid-to high teens for CFM rating, so a compressor producing 20+ CFM is what you need. Big air tanks are nice to reduce the amount of motor running time, but are irrelevant to the CFM rating that the compressor will produce.

If you have a compressor suitable for the air sander, though, I'd go that route for sure. The air DAs are much lighter weight and easier to handle in most situations, air hose notwithstanding.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating