Bench Dog Router Table - Add On Wing For Table Saw

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Bench Dog Router Table - Add On Wing For Table Saw

Post by Maine Sail »

For those of us with small shops and limited floor space I wanted to let you know about a router table I just recently found and purchased. My old home made router table was on its last legs and after a little research I discovered Bench Dog Tools.

For anyone who has a "contractor" type table saw this router table, #40-102, takes the place of the left wing. I own a Delta contractor saw, which is about 20 years old, and this cast iron wing was a simple bolt on device. The whole installation took me under 30 minutes including flush alignment with the table saw and leveling of the router plate.

Bench Dog builds a beautiful cast iron router table with incredible flatness and tolerance. It's actually flatter than the table on my Delta table saw.

I picked this up on-line through Tyler Tool for $299.00 plus $4.95 S&H. You will also need Bench Dog aluminum router plate for what ever router you own. This one device gave me more real estate for my table saw, replace a cheap stamped wing with a beautiful cast iron one and also give me a router table with tons of options and an extra miter slot for my table saw or the router table.

For the price, convenience, fit, finish, quality and shop space it saves, it really can't be beat. I am amazed I did not discover this sooner and now having fun with all my new routing options.

Before:

Built In Hooks For Fence Storage:

Set Up:

The Box & Model #:
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Re: Bench Dog Router Table - Add On Wing For Table Saw

Post by KITTIEanME »

Thanks Maine Sail, I have been looking for a router table and was looking at a Craftsman but I like the looks of the Bench Dog tool router table. I have been using an old Sears contractor table saw for many,many years, probable 30 yrs and it will not quit. My shop is small so this will make my old friend happy, thanks again. Two tools in one works for me. TOM
mdidriksen
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Calliope Girl
Boat Type: 1971 S&S 34

Post by mdidriksen »

I have Bench Dog's portable router table and like it a lot. Don't have experience with any others, so take it for what it's worth, but it's a nice product for a small shop.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

... Hello Maine Sail ... just wanted to comment on the cleanliness of your workshop, tool racks and equipment ... particularly the saw with a blade that still exhibits the original painted surface, total lack of sawdust laying around etc. ... which begs the question (no offence intended here) ... do you do or build anything in that shop? (Grin) ... How do you do it ... keep it that clean???
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Maine Sail »

The blade is easy, it's brand new and only ripped a few board feet of teak in that photo. The old blade had been ripping some southern yellow pine and was toast.. The barn is fairly new too, only about four years old.

As for the cleanliness I learned a long time ago to stop 15 minutes early to clean the shop other wise it will get ahead of you. I hate not being able to find a tool so I get in the habit of putting them away each night. I generally sweep and vacuum after each saw, route, drill, miter session as I also use this space for paint and varnishing. Dust = bad.. I work in the shop about three or four nights per week after my wife and daughter go to bed, and just came in about a 1/2 hour ago from doing some varnish work and wiring up a a stereo and nav station insert and building some wire harnesses for a panel install..

Trust me it just looks clean in the photos...

Tonight's work

Sadly it's not just my barn that's clean..

30 year old factory original gelcoated bilge.. (wink)

and my motor with 3000 hours.. (wink wink)

Yes, perhaps a little OCD.....
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

... Wow! I'm truly impressed with your shop maintenance ... I can't say mine is anywhere near as tidy ... too many projects going on simultaneously and other activities ... but I do my best. Also, nice handiwork on your project. Lovely work.

... As for your boat, what can I say ... Mr Clean ???
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.