Foam Pad Sandpaper

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Foam Pad Sandpaper

Post by Case »

Title says it all.

Sandpaper is mentioned lots in this forum but its related to two groupings: Paper or cloth backed square sandpaper attached to a foam or a rubber block and sandpaper for power tools.

There ain't much about foam sandpapers, the sort that you use by hand for rounded shapes. Any recommendations for good foam sandpaper that I can buy in bulk? I already buy some 3M stuff from the local hardware store but it certainly adds up quickly...

The type of foam sandpaper I am thinking of is thin, about 3/8" or thinner.

- Case
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Re: Foam Pad Sandpaper

Post by The Froon »

There is a great foam pad that accepts adhesive backed sanding discs available at the McMaster-Carr site:

www.mcmaster.com

...the pad has a loop on the back to slip around the back of your hand. Good stuff for finish sanding.

Brian
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Foam Pad Sandpaper

Post by Case »

Not what I'm looking for. The types of sandpaper I'm looking for feedback is those thin sandpaper with foam, only 1/4" or so thick. Often used for final finger sanding for contoured surfaces. Detail Pad is one common name for this type of sandpaper pad.

Judging by the lack of responses, I suspect most in this forum don't use those type of sandpaper all that much. Its pretty much the same in other forums. Oh well. Looks like some experimentation is necessary for me. Regarding my research, detail pads made by Webb Abrasives look particularly interesting to me.

- Case