Fein Multimaster woes

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Fein Multimaster woes

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Well, after 3 seasons, since 4 April 2006 when the commutator was made, my Fein Multimaster has begun to die. I have disemboweled the thing and note that the commutator has been rubbing lightly against the stator. The symptoms which suggested that I open it up agree: it runs with normal pep but soon begins to slow and loose oompf; likely, as it warms up the components expand enough to interfere. Additionally, one of the brush carriers was miss assembled or is an inadequate design; it was holding the brush out of parallel with the motor axis. It can be reassembled nearly in alignment. The rear ball bearing is a little rough, so, I've cleaned and lubricated it. The business end bearing is buried in the transmission which does not wish to come apart with the force I'm willing to apply (I may be 6'3, 270lbs but I'm dainty with delicate toys). In any case, the transmission does not feel sloppy or rough; I can hold the thing by the transmission housing with the commutator vertical, spin the commutator and it will turn freely for quite a while. It's hard to imagine, but probably true, that there's sufficient play in its bearings to allow the rubbing. The rubbing is at the business end of the commutator so it's also hard to imagine that the rear bearing allows the rubbing. The stator is mounted closely within the plastic shell and there's no obvious asymmetry or play.

Anybody got any experience? Ideas, preferably short of buying a new one? I've got 100s of hours on it.

I'm going back down to the barn and stuff it back together, hoping it will run long enough to get today's several hour task done.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Re: Fein Multimaster woes

Post by Quetzalsailor »

It took but 5 minutes to get most of it reassembled before the previously noted brush carrier fell in half. So, at least I need a source of Fein parts. I'll probably buy bearings, too. Remaining unconvinced that the transmission bearing is bad, but that touching of commutator and stator cannot be good.

Could it be that the wonky brush caused the motor to run warm? And that's the total failure?
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I would start with Walter Tools (1-800-356-6926) also at http://www.waltertool.com/ while they don't list repair parts, they are the people that import the multimaster. See what they have to say.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Ahhhh, the beatings continue. I got all-but-instantaneous good service from Walter Tool Monday morning. They FedX-ed brushes and brush carriers which arrived Wednesday. I noted that the carriers were wrong and sent them pics of the correct and the wrong carriers on Thursday morning. The new, correct carriers arrived yesterday, Monday and I reassembled the tool. It ran fine (Fein?) for several minutes. I was enthusiastic, finished my G&T and went down to the barn. The Fein ran for just a few minutes more before the old bad behavior resurfaced. I can squeeze the body of the tool and alter the motor speed, clearly the same missalignment is independent of the state of the brushes. Additionally, the transmission end became too warm to touch even as the motor housing remained cool. Sitting here at my office computer, I'll bet that the thing, having had all night to cool down, will run normally...

...yup. So, it's bearings or other transmission parts.

Gotta' make up my little pea brain and decide whether I buy all three bearings and bet that the eccentric on the end of the motor shaft and the yoke are unworn enough to continue service. Or give it up and spend the $269.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Depends on what you want to save, money or aggravation. I would start anew but that is me.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I'd take out the bearings and measure the shaft OD and housing ID, shoulder depth and housing depth... and take that info to a bearing distributor if the cost has you slowing down.

Then I'd see how hard it is to grab hold of the commutator and spin it on a drill motor, taking an emory stone or sand paper and thinning it out a little... Depending how much meat is there to play with... Grin. I'd bet your rubbing is a result of bearing run out though, so fix one fix the other, unless there is a lip somewhere that rubs, or a crack in the housing allowing flex.

I'd have 268 reasons to do a 15 dollar 2 hour tinker... but thats just me, worst comes to worst might be worth a call to Fein to see if they'll give you a "Golly gee, he wore it out" discount on the new one... or a frame off restoration on yours. Bigger grin.

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Time is time and is ultimately more limited than money. Only you can be the judge of how much of each you have, or can earn.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Zach has it right: On older tools, I fiddle a bit, bought a dandy teeny gear puller, remove bearings, read their numbers off and go buy new ones from Philadelphia Ball Bearing. On tools where I can find the instructions, I buy the parts from some 'supplies everybody' place, like Sears Parts (if I can stand the idea of dealing with an unknowledgeable person in, say, Phoenix).

Tim has it right, too; time is indeed important, but I don't get my billing rate at home. Too bad, I would have had the new tool paid for days ago!

The Fein folks seem very responsive, as well they should be with their pricey tools. I spent some time on the phone with their service folk and here's the skinny: They will repair the Multimaster in Pittsburgh PA for cost, up to a maximum of $120 (he said). They will also take it in trade for a nice new one for about $210 (he said). The cheapest new one with the Q(uick change) feature, box and no toys, is $269, free shipping, at places like Walker Tool.

So, the cheapest thing is to have the thing repaired and hope I have an essentially new tool. The middle thing is to trade it in and sand off into the sunset with a nice new one. The best and most expensive thing would be to have the old one repaired and also buy a nice new one. I would not have to change tips as often, but merely have to work in the tangle of cords.

Mulling; I'll probably go cheap...but I could have a nice new one in a day or so.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I received my Multimaster back after its rebuild. Good service from Fein; I had it rebuilt. They installed new bearings, seals, armature and stator: it's essentially a new tool. I've run it enough to be confident that all's well.

I failed to ask them, but if they're willing to repair any Multimaster for $120, will they sell a rebuilt tool that someone else turned in for a new one for the same $120?
bigd14
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Post by bigd14 »

Has anyone had problems with the variable speed controller for the multimaster? Mine works only intermittently. I had this problem a few months ago and I suspected dust, so I opened it up and blew the dust out and it worked ok. Now its not working. Hopefully its an easy fix.

Doug
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I habitually run all my variable speed tools wide open. Except, occasionally, screw shooters or sabre saw. Sometimes it's handy to not torque the bit out of the screw. And sometimes it's happier to not overheat the work or bounce the blade on the sabre saw.

That said, I note that most of the variable speed controls are not willing to maintain a stable speed when they're set to less than wide open. True for the Fein, the Dremel, the long-abandoned 1970's Craftsman sabre saw, the Rockwell sabre saw. The drills and screw shooter require you to hold the trigger to a position to achieve the desired speed, so a little fatigue ruins the effect. That's annoying; I'd prefer setting the speed separately and mashing the trigger with the little remaining strength in my hand (I damaged the nerves and have enjoyed atrophy, but that's another story).

This wide-open grump is true for lighting dimmers and even theatrical lighting boards; I wonder what the science is?

I think that most modern tools have 'potted' speed control switches; that said, I doubt that a little dust would change things.