Discovered a new use for this tape!

Tools you like...tools you hate...
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Discovered a new use for this tape!

Post by One Way David »

I know this isn't classic plastic (well some of it is) and its not even a sail boat but bear with mej 'cause I think it has relevance.

To make a short story long, I loaned my 98 Trans Am to my step daughter ('cause I'm a nice guy?). After the return I needed to drive it but I noticed that the right rear bumper was falling off. The thingys (that's body shop technical language) that hold it on were broken. I just knew that at warp speed it would finish tearing the bumper off.

I was in a hurry to a meeting and could not find the duct tape. I did have packaging tape. You know that stuff that is great for closing up boxes to mail. So, using my body shop skills, I aligned the pieces and applied several sections of tape. I also was well aware of what happens when you tape a truck to be painted and get tied up (forget) with other projects (ask me how I know that). But at the time I had bought this car for the LS1 corvette engine and was going to part out the left overs. Advance about 6 months and I notice the tape curling at the edges (did I mention procrastination?). So dreading what I was going to find, I began to peal tape off. WOW! It came off like I had put it on 10 minutes ago. What little residue was there was (less that a inch square over about 2' square) wiped off with a damp towel. This stuff is better than anything 3-M tries to sell you for half the national budget. Lasts longer. Its better than duct tape!

I do not own any interest in any tape products, just wish I did.

And for now, the Trans Am is going into hibernation as a historic relic no linger made.

Now if anybody has already discovered this, please feed my ego and don't tell me. Thanks. Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Discovered a new use for this tape!

Post by Rachel »

I know that I never use clear packaging tape (non-filament type) to back the inside of deck-hardware holes that I'm going to fill with epoxy.

Why would I want to use a tape I can see through and that doesn't stick permanently to the epoxy or the surrounding area?

So I don't.

;)

R.

PS: Good to know, David :D
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

I know that I never use clear packaging tape (non-filament type) to back the inside of deck-hardware holes that I'm going to fill with epoxy.
I never do that either.....
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Nae, nae, nae. That's a' right. We a' us the stuff tae back 'oles. Whit I'm taelkin a'boot is tae use the stuff tae mark uf the strike lines tae paint!
A but top o' whut not.

Dave
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.