Affixing interior trim

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Affixing interior trim

Post by Figment »

The sewing-class stripey curtains on dowels are wearing on the wifey's patience. Accoridion blinds are the order of the day. I've mulled over the question of how to mount these for a few days now. Can't very well screw right into/through the side of the house, now can I?

At the moment I'm leaning toward applying some mahogany trim so I'll have something to screw into....
GRRRR. I can't get the sketch to show up, but the idea is that these are 5/16" x 1/2" strips (yeah, I'd prefer 3/8" or better, but this is what I have on hand). The bottom strip runs the length of the cabin where the side turns outward to become the side deck, the upper strip is roughly 5' long, spanning over both windows.

I'm fishing for suggestions on how best to affix/adhere this trim in place without putting any holes in the house.

4200 and a bunch of duct tape? ;)

Thanks guys.
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

I take it you have a lower hull number without liner? If not, the liner is thin but should hold some teeny screws to keep the trim in place while the 5200 kicks off???

My Commander had no liner, and the simple but inelegant solution to hold stuff like that was small oval-head screws and finish washers from the outside. As long as there are not too many, you don't even notice 'em after a while...call it industrial chic?

Dave
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

4200 would be fine, or epoxy. Use tape or braces to hold it in place while curing. I don't see anything wrong with your intended plan, and it looks like a good choice to me given the situation. You could screw through from the outside, but why invite additional leak locations through your cabin?

I love the miniblinds on Glissando. I was a naysayer when Heidi said she wanted them--"Blinds? On a boat?" , said I: but I came around very quickly. They are awesome, look good, function well when needed, and don't slap or bang around at all, even in sloppy seas. Mine are screwed into the liner (which you don't have, of course).

But I guess accordian blinds are something different--those pleated fabric ones?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

http://www.maritimetrading.net/oceanair/portshade.htm

Pretty much like that, but beige instead of navy blue. Held in the down position by snaps, with small straps that gather and hold in the up position. There is no in-between, but we're fine with that.

Learn something new every day.... It somehow escaped my attention thus far that later Tritons had cabin liners. Very eeeeeenteresting, as it explains this nagging thing that's been in the back of my mind forever..... boy, those other tritons I looked at before buying Figment all seemed to have a MUCH nicer finish on the overhead. Thinking back, they were all higher hull numbers.