Scaffolding for fun and expediency

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Dave, 397

Scaffolding for fun and expediency

Post by Dave, 397 »

I have a good amount of work to do on the topsides of the Triton, and after doing a good amount of similar from a ladder I decided there had to be a better mousetrap.

First, I got some rather nice and rather long 4x4's--a BUNCH of 'em--for free, they had been a shipping skid for a load of aluminum that refitted an aluminum fishboat. All I had to do was get rid of the rest of the pallet and then carry the fool things one at a time 1/4 mile across the yard. Seemed like a good idea at the time, you know, but on reflection I realized I would end up spending two days and a good hundred bucks to make the movable staging I wanted.

Of course, the contractors who work in the yard all have some semblance of scaffolding--the 1/2 width stuff--that they use for buffing topsides and similar. On the weekends I have previously been know to spirit these devices away to my shop and return at the end of the day, and they sure kick butt.

I went looking for China's Finest utility scaffolding and came up with 200.00 piles of flimsy square tube with plastic planks and teeny casters. I just couldn't do it.

So...a week ago I was at a local equipment rental firm where I have been doing a lot of business for a renovation job I've been working on forever and a few days (in 3-day-a-week, 30+ hour installments...gotta have time to work on the boat, right?) and noted that they offer everything that they rent for sale as well, including used items. Made a quick inquiry and I am sure glad I did!

I came away with a 6-foot high section of good, heavy-duty commercoal scaffold (in the 1/2 width of course, so it could go alongside the boat in the shop!)...2 end frames, 2 X-braces, safety bar, 7-foot aluminum plank and four large locking casters with leveling jacks...for 214.00 including sales tax! This wasn't broken junk, either, in fact it was my own pick out of the piles. At this price, I can use the stuff and sell when I am through, recouping most if not all of the price I paid.

If you have a need, and have a medium-to-large industrial rental outfit in your area, give 'em a try! I'm glad I did!

Dave
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Decent staging is always worth the work, time, effort, and--to an extent--money. That sounds like a great deal--I'll have to check the local rental stores when I want to pick up some real scaffolding someday. I bought my big chain hoist from the local rental shop a few years ago.

I bought this 4' rolling staging last fall from Tool Crib for about $179, I think. It has two 4' steel planks, locking casters, and folds up for easy storage if desired. It's decent stuff and works well, and I am glad to have it, but I think the real thing for the price you got is better for sure. Of course you never know on a given day or place what the rental shop might or might not sell the other stuff for.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
MarkWilme
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Scaffold / staging

Post by MarkWilme »

I was searching the archives for "scaffold" when I came across this post. I rented 4 x 5ft "lifts" this weekend to paint part of the house (pictures below) - What an asset, I can't believe how much easier it is with a set of scaffolding versus a plethora of ladders.

I was going to ask this group if they knew a good source of used scaffolding that I could squirrell away in the garage and pull out once a year or so to do house maintenance. Maybe based on this post I'll go back to the rental company and see if they have a price. Any experience of others since this thread was just posted ?

Mark

Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Around here, you can buy a 5x5 set of pipe staging (two frames, two cross braces, and 4 stacking pins) for around $110; the good aluminum/plywood planks are something like $70 (thanks, OSHA). More planks make the staging all the more useful, both for ease of stacking and for creating multiple work platforms, if necessary, or for a nice wide platform at the top or whatever working height..

I like the leveling feet on the staging in your photos. That's a helpful accessory.

Your local sell/swap rag is likely the best source for used staging, though good stuff is hard to come by and is usually snapped up quickly. A lot of the used stuff for sale is badly neglected and nearly useless. I haven't been actively looking, but I haven't seen much used advertised around here. A friend recently bought some bulk used staging that seemed like a great deal at $50, but it was all rotten and rusted; he managed to salvage a couple of cross braces.

You kind of need to buy locally, as shipping costs (say, from Ebay) would be tough to handle. Most rental centers boast that everything they rent is for sale, so I would definitely contact them for a price.

For just over $400, at our local prices, you could have two complete sets of staging and three planks--not a terrible investment if it's something you need fairly often. Good ladders cost a lot of money too, so the staging doesn't look so bad in comparison. With three planks and two sets of frames, you could stage an area 21' long 6' up to off the ground, or easily and comfortably reach areas about up to 15' off the ground (5' reach off the top of 10' of staging).

I keep thinking of buying some, but the big stuff is too awkward and bulky to use with boats in the shop, limiting its utility. It's nice for house maintenance, but hard to justify the cost when I already have $1000 in good ladders lying around. For boats, smaller, narrower and more portable staging makes more sense. On a hard surface, casters are invaluable.

Pipe staging is a love-hate relationship for me. I couldn't have built my house without it (all borrowed), and it's handy, but I also hate the stuff--setting up and breaking down, shakiness, etc. Despite that, it's usually better than the alternative.

What did it cost to rent your staging? The comparison of rental cost vs. purchase price would be interesting.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

2x12s on 55 gallon drums. Been using 'em for years. I don't know how one goes about securing 55 gal drums, though, as the yard where I haul out has 'em laying around. I use them because I paint my topsides each year &, when rolling & tipping, you must have continuous scaffolding.
MarkWilme
Bottom Paint Application Technician

What did it cost me ?

Post by MarkWilme »

For a weeks rental of 4 5ft "lifts", 4 screw type levelling feet, connector pins and 3x aluminum planks it cost me $100.

I only used them Sat - Tue as I had to be back at work and there was no point leaving them just lying around ...... and that's part of the $$$ dillema on rent v buy. I never expect to get 7 consecutive days use out of them, more a case of a day at a time(odd days in the summer when we have some sort of social commitment on the Saturday or the Sunday and thus don't go sailing for the weekend) thus the weeks rental is excessive.

I posed a note on Craigslist so I will see what comes up, also I will drop by the rental center and ask. Plus I did see some suppliers on the internet (and on ebay) - good deals on brand new stuff but pricey shipping from Wisconsin and North Carolina.

M
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

Interesting, you can get a "set" of 5ft frames, cross braces and pins for $95 here :

http://www.scaffoldingdepot.com/

No mention of shipping costs on their web site.

SAF Tools from Ebay do a similar set for $100 but they quote shipping to MA of $95.00 plus a $20 handling fee plus $23 for each additional unit, so these prices start to look less competitive.

http://stores.ebay.com/Saf-Tools

There's also what looks like a comprehensive used set in Baldwin, NY - current price $500. no bids to date (this is too far for me - it would take 2 or 3 trips in my truck).
3 sets of frames
11 aluminum planks
6 scissors
8 wheels
8 stationary leveling stands
pulley system/wheel, rope, and strap
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scaffolding_W0QQite ... dZViewItem