gluing a wooden boom

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

gluing a wooden boom

Post by Challenger949L »

My wooden boom has some splits along the seams. They do not run the entire length of the boom. I plan to glue the cracks, and clamp them with some tie-down straps. What would be the best glue for this application? Epoxy, thickened epoxy, Gorilla glue, or something else?
Jimmy Small
Triton 662
Challenger 949L
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I'd use thickened (with silica) epoxy--thick enough to stay in place and gap-fill, but not so thick that it's a hindrance. Ketchup+, I'd call it.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David

Post by David »

Is your boom bright or painted?
David

Post by David »

It sounds like the glue failed in those seams. To repair it properly you need to remove the old glue on either side of the joint so you are gluing together clean wood. If you can't take the boom apart to reglue the whole spar, if painted, I would use a router to route out the seam, wet everything out with unthickened epoxy, then lay in a beveled wood spline in thickened epoxy.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

You can certainly try to glue up the splits. You may find however that it doesn't hold. You can never really get to the spot where the split ends and undisturbed wood or joint begin. Then it can act like the zipper that has started to come apart at one end. It may be more prudent to route out a channel slightly longer than the split and glue in a spline.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Post by Challenger949L »

Here is a picture of the boom showing the cracks.
Jimmy Small
Triton 662
Challenger 949L
Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

From the picture it seems that the boom is laminated from staves....and is perhaps hollow.....or am I not seeing this correct.

For any long term repair, you are best to remove the old glue and ensure a clean cut wood surface in the internal joint. This will allow increased adhesion and filamenting that will result in a stronger bond.

If the boom is staved, or even if it is a solid boom with checking, I would go the router and fillet approach.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Jim,

What percentage of your 14' +/- boom has failed joints? Can you see whether the joints are T & G or splined? Maybe something other than straight through?

I had failed joints on my Flying Dutchman mast. Wall thickness is about 3/8". Failure was only about 2' long in a couple places of a 26' mast. I used one of the dandy, reversible fine-bladed saws sold for dovetails and sawed the joint open. It really did not remove much wood but should have cleaned the crumbly urea resin out. I then worked WEST into the join and clamped. About 18 years, but only a few hours service, no further deterioration.

I scrounged a discarded Hinckley B40 mast for the spruce in it. Joints were maybe 30% failed. Given judicious force, another 30% let go. I sawed the remainder but the problem was that the sides were glued into rabbets on the fore and aft C sections (you can't put both glue faces into tension at the same time).

Presuming simple joints and, say, 1/3 failure, I'd cut that boom apart and reassemble with the best, clean joints that I could, using epoxy. And particularly because of the way the wood looks like it's warped so that the joints are more open. Given that the interior faces of hollow spars are not usually varnished or sealed, there's opportunity for water collecting and rot. Another excuse for opening it up and coating it.

If you want a painted spruce B 40 boom, come and get it.