Compact Belt Sander

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Compact Belt Sander

Post by Shark »

Here's a neat tool I saw in Classic Boat magazine's December issue. I don't think it's available in North America yet but I could be wrong.

I'm not encouraging any of you to spend more money on tools ... heaven forbid! I just thought it was neat.

http://ptocs.bosch-pt.com/boptocs/Produ ... od_id=5989

Given that we do so much sanding and grinding as part of boat maintenance and restoration, I thought I'd pass this information along to the group.

Lyman
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Bosch was bought out by an American company a number of years ago. I would hope it would be available here. They still make some excellent tools, except they have ruined their jigsaw. The barrel handle model that has been considered the best jigsaw on the market for 25 years by many woodworkers is no longer available. Don't you just love it when people fix stuff that aint broke?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

yup. I used to borrow a bosch barrelgrip whenever I needed a good jigsaw, but he moved away so I had to get my own this year. I was BUMMED to learn that I'd waited too long. I picked one up on ebay, but it needed some tuning.

The tool itself is as great as I remembered, but WOW the blades are pricey and they really don't last worth a damn.

(ok, now back to belt sanders)
Mark.Wilme
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Mark.Wilme »

I have the 1591EVSK Barrell grip Bosch jigsaw and I LOVE IT !

For the belt saned I have the Porter Cable 352VS and it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. I have dropped it, piled stuff on top of it, snapped belts, cut the power cord (ouch) and it just keeps on going. Haven't used it in some time though ..
Mark.
S/V Calypso. 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 381
Not quite a plastic classic yet
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Hirilond? wrote: The barrel handle model that has been considered the best jigsaw on the market for 25 years by many woodworkers is no longer available.
What???!!! I wasn't aware of that. What an idiotic decision.

But then again, it seems these days that companies don't build things for consumers. They do what suits their bottom line best. Marketers and bean-counters are the kings of Corporate America now. Lousy product? It matters not: bring on new graphics and a flashy advertising campaign! Sheep-like consumers must buy what the company offers...the company need not build what consumers want. I'm so sick of being forced to buy absolute junk that previously good companies now offer. Apparently, though, the market demands cheap, one-use stuff. The few dedicated, skillful, and loyal people who want something else can just deal with it, it seems.

I'm on my second one of these barrel grip Bosch jigsaws, and love it. I guess I'd better take good care of it, hadn't I. Had I known this, I would've bought a spare when I had the chance. I still have the older one, and I guess I'm glad I held onto it. Actually, I think it just needs a new table, having been dropped 10' to concrete. (I think that was its demise, but it's been a few years.)
Figment wrote:...he moved away so I had to get my own this year.
Well, that was inconsiderate of him. And I bet he never even consulted with you first to see if it might be inconvenient. Some people!
Figment wrote:WOW the blades are pricey and they really don't last worth a damn.
I always buy lots of blades at a time, because the bayonet tops aren't always readily available, or at least not as universally as the "normal" type of jigsaw blade top. McMaster has, as always, an excellent selection of a wide variety of bayonet blades.

As usual, if you have the blades stockpiled, you don't need them. But when you're down to your last one or two, they're guaranteed to break partway through!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:
Figment wrote:...he moved away so I had to get my own this year.
Well, that was inconsiderate of him. And I bet he never even consulted with you first to see if it might be inconvenient. Some people!
Hmmm. I can think of someone else who fits the bill here as well! ;-P Durned inconsiderate, indeed! hehe
Figment

Post by Figment »

On his way out of town, he did jokingly suggest that he leave the saw with me since I'd used it 5x as much as he had in the past few years, but I had the grace to remind him that he would surely find 1001 uses for it in his new house.

We're all just SO damned considerate!
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

Hirilond? wrote:Bosch was bought out by an American company a number of years ago. I would hope it would be available here. They still make some excellent tools, except they have ruined their jigsaw. The barrel handle model that has been considered the best jigsaw on the market for 25 years by many woodworkers is no longer available. Don't you just love it when people fix stuff that aint broke?
The 1584 (which I'm assuming is the saw you are talking about; I have one and love it) is certainly available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1584AVSK-Ba ... =UTF8&s=hi

Bosch Tools is still owned (indirectly) by Robert Bosch, a German company which is entirely owned by and run for the benefit of a German non-profit foundation.

http://www.boschtools.com/about-bosch-tools/
Figment

Post by Figment »

Well hot damn. From this I infer that the long-beloved 1591 has been replaced by this 1584, which has a few interesting additional features. I'd like to get one in my hands and play with it for a while, but on paper it appears to be the real deal.
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by suntreader »

I've got a 1591 and it is a real beauty. Having never used a 1584 I can't compare, but the new one sure beats my old Skil brand saw! Grizzly has a clone of the top handled 1584:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8994Z

I've heard it is a pretty good copy but not quite up the original, still for $60 it might be worth a try if you don't mind the top handle.

David
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Bosch Barrel Handled Jig Saw

Post by rshowarth »

Here it is at Coastal Tool

Bosch 1584
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian