Wasps in Exhaust

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Wasps in Exhaust

Post by Tony »

How would y'all go about getting rid of a wasp nest in the exhaust of your diesel?
Tony
David

Wasps

Post by David »

If the exhaust is mostly blocked, I would be very hesitant to run the engine at all: If the raw water seacock is open and you are pumping water you will quickly fill up your wet muffler and exhasut, and upon shutting the engine down you risk backfilling the cylinders thru the exhaust manifold.

On the other hand, a quick start and full throttle might blow them right out. An interesting question for sure....
Tony

Post by Tony »

Well, it looks pretty blocked...
Tony
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Well, if you can see the nest... Is the nest active? If so, I might try shooting it with wasp-killer, then pulling as much out as you can with a tool. I think if you can get most of it out, then you could probably run the engine and blow the rest of it out with the exhaust.

Any other opinions on this one?
Tony

Post by Tony »

It's Awaaay back in there, and it is active...the broker was stung just the other day, in fact. I'm not sure how far back it goes into the exhaust line, so I'm concerned spraying it with wasp killer might not do the job.
Tony
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Next question: have you closed on this boat yet? If not, you could insist the broker and seller take care of it...

What is the configuration of the exhaust? Hose? How about removing the entire length of hose to clean it out (or to simply throw away and replace)? Probably a pain, but sometimes it's the only way. Given what you've said so far, that would probably be the safest bet. But I'd spray the Raid in there first to kill whatever you can, for your own safety during removal.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Brake cleaner is an effective wasp-nest shooter, if you happen to have some lying around.
David

Wasp killer

Post by David »

Also WD-40 works wonders, kills them instantly.
Tony

And now....the results!

Post by Tony »

Just to tie up loose ends... :-)

We closed on the boat yesterday, it is currently 37 degrees outside, the engine is pretty much toast and I started prepping it for removal two days ago. My reciprocating saw made short work of the exhaust hose.

Case Closed!
Tony