Praise for Ryobi Electric Caulking Gun

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Praise for Ryobi Electric Caulking Gun

Post by Tim »

A year or so ago, I bought an 18V Ryobi caulking gun. I wasn't sure how useful it would prove to be, but for the price ($49) it seemed worth a try.

I have now used this tool to dispense over 400 tubes of Sikaflex polyurethane caulk during the construction of my house, and boy, has it been terrific! Not only can I not imagine having to push all that caulking out by hand (then I could add carpal tunnel syndrome to my tendonitis and "tennis elbow"), but the tool has done the job quickly, accurately, and reliably, despite becoming increasingly gunked up with the caulk thanks to some bad tubes that split with the plunger inside, leaving caulking all over everything.

On top of all that, it's miserly with the battery. I can't have changed the battery more than 3 or 4 times during the whole process (beginning in May), and then never because it completely ran the battery down--more like I said, "well, it must be time for a new battery, so I'll stick one in".

The variable speed control works very nicely and can help prevent making a huge mess in tight areas or when small amounts of caulk are required. You can tune it down so that it barely pushed the caulk out, giving you excellent control.

I'm very impressed and highly recommend this tool.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

"sikaflex...house"? What next, teak and holly flooring? Mylar and dacron roof? :)
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

ryobi caulking gun

Post by The Good Goose »

Tim
If you liked that tool you should try their impact driver. It's around 60 bucks. It gives way more controll then a drill for driving fasteners and more power to boot. The dewalt is way better but it is over 200.00. I use mine almost daily and it has held up well.

Brock
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Brock,

I bought one of the DeWalt impact drivers for this house project, and it's been great. It burned up a motor after driving hundreds of 10" and 12" log screws, and I just got it back with a brand new motor from the factory (no charge).

I agree that the impact driver is a great tool, and I look forward to using it for many projects to come.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating