Router recommendations needed! Help me spend tool money!

Tools you like...tools you hate...
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Router recommendations needed! Help me spend tool money!

Post by dmairspotter »

Okay. Doing a hardwood floor in the house. Couldn't do it the sane way, had to try something fancy that requires trimming and regrooving planks. !/10th of the way into the job, my ancient and originally very cheap B&D router gives up the ghost. (It had a feeble grasp on life from the start)

I need to hurry down to the Despot, or Lowes, or Rocklers tonight and get a new router! Wife is 100% behind the purchase! Cost no object! (well....)

Also, bit recommendations for 1/4" grooves in cherry appreciated....

Boating content...If I get the floor done I can do some work on the boat..maybe involving a router...
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

I have always been partial to Porter Cable for routers. For a tongue and groove operation you will probably want to use a table mounted router in 1.75hp + range. Rockler can hook you up with tongue and groove bit sets but I doubt the Lowes etc. would have them in stock
The board does not cut itself short!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I agree on the Porter Cable router recommendation. You might consider one that allows for plunge use, as this makes it more versatile. But the old 690 (or the newer--but similar--version of this) is a fine workhorse, and will do just about any job you might be able to dream up.

Sometimes you can find the Porter Cable 690 in a kit that includes both plunge and normal bases. Buy this if you see it.

Be sure to get a router that takes 1/2" bits, but also 1/4"--again for versatility. 1/2" shank bits are better overall, and the larger bits will always have these shanks.

The other brands also make good routers, so see if something else has features you like better. Hard to beat the PC, though.

Happy shopping!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
kendall
Master Varnisher

porter cable always wins

Post by kendall »

But the bosch is a close second, and the plunge/standard base set for the 2hp model runs right around $200
Nice looking router with good feel to it.

Ken.
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Post by dmairspotter »

(I was in a big time crunch so I went to Rocklers where they had the P-C 890 series on sale. Got the kit with fixed and plunge bases, and a new 3 wing grooving bit. HOLY SMOKE!!! It's like a whole different tool than the B&D thing I was using. Cuts the flooring like butter, finish like glass, accurate like...well, you get the picture.

Money may not be able to buy skill, but it sure gives you a running start!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Excellent! Enjoy your new toy.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating