Outfeed Table

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Outfeed Table

Post by Tim »

Yesterday, I started building my "ultimate" outfeed table for the table saw. The table will also function as a general shop work table. I didn't have enough material on hand to build the second section, and am also awaiting delivery of some casters in order to complete the tables.

A few years ago, Norm Abram built a nice mobile work table that had a simple and effective means of remaining stable, but also had casters to make it mobile. I liked the idea and plan to implement it myself on this table, and other new work tables as well. I haven't built this part of the table yet, but will post details later.

I built a frame out of 2x4s to support the top, and built legs from two sections of 2x4 attached at 90? to each other. The height of the table is just lower than the height of the table saw. For the top, I used more of the 3/4" MDF that I favor for work surfaces. I attached everything with 2-1/2" drywall screws. It is very sturdy, but I will probably add additional bracing and a shelf (or possibly enclosed storage) later on, just because.

I left a nice overhang on all sides of the table, for clamps, and cut off the two outside corners at 45? to prevent unpleasant runnings-into. Later, I will build the caster assembly rails, but you'll need to wait to see that.

To accommodate the miter gauge, I milled two slots into the saw side of the outfeed table, so that I can slide the gauge past the blade as necessary. I built a simple jig out of scrap wood and routed the slots as needed.

I plan to build a second section of outfeed table, identical in detail to the first, in front of the extension table. The second section will be 4' in length, rather than 8', since the table on this side will only come into play when cutting sheet goods. It's probably not strictly necessary anyway, but since these will also function as work tables for the shop, I figure I might as well go for broke.

Later, I was up on a ladder removing stickers from some windows and thought this overhead view was worth a photo.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

"Ultimate" is right! That's becoming one serious machine.

I can't quite tell from that bird's eye photo... do you have the table set up so that ultralong stock can be fed right out the door? Sweet!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:I can't quite tell from that bird's eye photo... do you have the table set up so that ultralong stock can be fed right out the door? Sweet!
Yes, it's pretty much aligned that way, or could be easily with a slight adjustment of the tool and the outfeed table. I wouldn't expect to do this often, since that's the office (and therefore a finished space), but it is possible if need be.

I figure toerails are the longest potential stock I'll probably be dealing with (we cut 16-footers for Nathan's toerail last winter), so the need for the extra length will be fairly infrequent.

Since everything's mobile, I can also pull the saw closer to the big rolling door behind it, and thereby extend the reach in either direction. The only current limitation is the length of hte cord on the saw, since there's only one appropriate outlet for it. (Pardon the pun, by the way.)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Earlier this week I finished the second part of the outfeed table. The caster assemblies are still on the "to-do" list for later.

Without further ado, here are the pictures.

rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

MDF

Post by rshowarth »

Hi Tim-

Your shop looks great.

I had to google MDF to learn it means Medium Density Fiberboard.

I see that it appears to be available made of different fiber materials. Specifically different wood base materials. Does it make a difference what type of wood base material the MDF is made from for your purposes?

Do you have a sketch or photos of the bracing, joining and fastening of your work benches?

Thanks

P.S. I hope you will be creating another web site posting for the construction of your house.
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Matt B.
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Firefly
Boat Type: Islander 28

Post by Matt B. »

One trick I learned from my cabinet-maker father...

When he (and now I) make a table like this, the frame is built flush with the edges of the top surface sheet. Then a raised lip of thin stock is attached, flush with the top of the work surface and surrounding on all four sides. The top itself is lightly tacked down with screws through the raised lip.

That way, the table is just as solid and secure. But when you've trashed the work surface by cutting on it, spilling epoxy, paint, etc., you can pull out the screws in the raised lip, pull off one side, and the top slides out. Flip it over... fresh work surface. Trash the second side? Toss in a new sheet, five minutes later you have a new table.

It's a little more complicated here because of the miter guide slots, but it's still something useful to keep in mind for future workbenches and tables.
Matt Beland
Islander 28 #256, SV Firefly
matt@rearviewmirror.org
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

That is sort of like what I do - the structural top of the table is 3/4" CDX ply, and I attach a sheet of masonite to that. I just use a few brads. When it gets too roughed up I flip it, but it hangs in there a pretty long time.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
Tim

Post by Tim »

Should this top get too banged up, it'd be easy to either turn it over, or replace with a new sheet ($19). It's a matter of a dozen or so screws.

MDF is pretty much like a thicker version of masonite, and it's amazingly tough stuff. I love it. It makes the best substrate for high pressure laminate, too. (Formica)

I was originally planning to use sheets of melamine for the outfeed tables, but realized I'd be hard pressed to beat the MDF, so I stuck with that.