From the Bad Design File

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

From the Bad Design File

Post by Tim »

This is the charger for the Ryobi 18-volt battery packs that I have.

I look at this and have to wonder what the designers were thinking. All the other chargers I have incorporate the battery so that the body of the battery extends inwards over the charger itself--clean and space efficient.

So on the Ryobi, the battery must extend outwards, the "wrong way". It's completely illogical, and while it's not a big deal, it just bugs me. If the battery were turned the other way, it would fit nicely over the body of the charger and remain within the overall charger footprint.

Sigh...things'll be different when I'm in charge!

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Summersdawn »

Tim - if the battery was turned the other way - you wouldn't be able to see the Ryobi insignia. I think the marketing department had more say than engineering in the design of this ;-)
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
Tim

Post by Tim »

Geez, I already bought the tool...I no longer need the advertising forced at me!

But the marketing department usually has more importance than design these days, that's for sure!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I've become less than enamored of Ryobi tools as I've used them.

I have a oscillating spindle sander from them that hasn't worked properly since the warranty expired. It spindles but doesn't oscillate. Supposedly there is a fix for that, but the repair department could care less if you got any parts or not. They had NO idea what I was talking about AND I had to give them the part number for the drive belt from MY owners manual so they could send me a new belt- maybe- if they could find it- and get around to shipping it- sometime.

I also have a Ryobi Sawzall version. I twisted the threads out of the blade lock block the first time I changed blades. Now THAT time I got a different repair area, and talked to someone who could at least find the part number and ship it.

I'll not be spending any more money on things labeled Ryobi.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I'm no big fan either, but I couldn't turn down a 6-piece cordless tool set for $119--hard to go wrong.

I just bought a new DeWalt cordless drill, and boy is it way nicer than the Ryobi! I was just going to buy a 2-pack of replacement 18-volt batteries, but decided it made more sense to buy the new drill, which included 2 batteries and had the added bonus of being a new drill. (For those of you keeping track, that makes 5 count 'em 5 cordless drills that I have now...4 DeWalts and the Ryobi.)
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

wow tim you must have some holster for all those guns ;)
more power to ya

Robert
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote: that makes 5 count 'em 5 cordless drills that I have now...4 DeWalts and the Ryobi.)
Geez Tim, why didn't you have all those drills when I was in the shop? Some people...
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Oh oh. You have more cordless drills than boats! I guess it's time for a new boat, Tim.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Tim

Post by Tim »

MikeD wrote:Oh oh. You have more cordless drills than boats! I guess it's time for a new boat, Tim.
Maybe that's all part of my evil plan...
Tim

Post by Tim »

Robert The Gray wrote:wow tim you must have some holster for all those guns ;)
Yeah, but boy are my knees bruised and battered!
dmairspotter
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Wind Horse
Boat Type: 1974 Dufour 27

Makita Charger Rant

Post by dmairspotter »

In keeping with Tims original rant..

I finally got around to cobbling together a wall organizer to hold all my nice new Makita 18V Li-ion tools. The charger has a nice slide in locking arrangement for the battery, except the battery slides in from the rear! This means the charger takes up its own footprint plus 4" of unused space behind it...Wait, Ill just hang it on the wall then the battery will slip in from the top...noo, no mounting holes or any way to put them in, short of opening the case and voiding the warranty...well, we'll just put it on the shelf backwards, so the batteries can slide straight in...OK but they made the front curved so it won't sit still while you try to shove the battery in....

Who designs this stuff?

Tools are nice though!

Man, I need to go sailing... rant mode off
kendall
Master Varnisher

porter cable

Post by kendall »

well designed charger, battery slides in from the front, and hanger holes on the back mount it 'upside down' so the battery slides in from the top.
Great charger design, good drill.

bad design in my mind is the hitachi miter saws, good in every aspect except that tiny little one inch high soft rubber faced fence that doesn't hold anything straight.

ken.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

You know, I *love* this thread. It makes me think that I really need to buy some new tools so that I can contribute! One of the first things on my list is a replacement Makita cordless drill -- I'll have to take a close look at the charger base :-)

--- Rachel

PS If those Ryobi marketers were clever, they would just have put the brand label on the bottom of the battery and turned it to the more efficient position. Of course that's obvious to everyone here, I'm sure.
Tim

Post by Tim »

More inspired charger design from the folks at Ryobi. The drills are OK for what they are, but what is the deal with their chargers?

I just bought two of the new lithium ion versions of the Ryobi cordless drill to replace a couple of the old-tech ones that had failed, and I was stunned to see the sheer size of the charger that they supply with these things.

At least this time the battery remains within the footprint of the charger when it is inserted, but does the charger really need to be so large as to require its own storage room?

Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Tim wrote:More inspired charger design from the folks at Ryobi. The drills are OK for what they are, but what is the deal with their chargers?
Well, for one the battery/charger package alone is too pricey by far, even if you can find them - which at my local Home Despot you can't.

I generally like the lithium ion tools, and the batteries seem to give a little more power to the older NiCad tools. But I don't need another charger; I just want a couple additional batteries. Which still cost as much, or almost as much, as the drill kits containing the drill - everyone needs triple-redundant systems - yet another marginally useful light, two lithium ion batteries and the charger.

Greg
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well it's not a charger; it's a Charge Center. Obviously that's gonna need more room.

The next model will have to have two wheels and a handle, like a giant barbecue.

Rachel
Tim

Post by Tim »

Rachel wrote:Well it's not a charger; it's a Charge Center. Obviously that's gonna need more room.
Oh, a Charge Center, not just a battery charger.

That explains it. I must have missed that detail.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Understandable, as you were too close to it. Like a skyscraper, you have to step back to really take in the detail on something that large.
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

Don't forget the "frequent charge points" as well . Each time you use your "charge center" you can gain valuable points that will lead to future discounts of up to 3% on any purchase of $1000 or more! When you build up enough Frequent Charge Points!! you are entitled to a chance in a drawing that will giv you the possibility of entering a lottery for another Charge Center!!!!!

My !!!! key seems to be stuck

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Void where prohibited by law.
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by jlroberts280 »

Tim do you find a big difference in the green LI batteries when used with the older style drill and other tools? I need to replace a few batteries and want to know if the extra cost is justified.

Also, while I agree that there are better brands, I have used and abused my Ryobi tools and they refuse to break. The batteries have lasted a long time and they owe me nothing.

I agree the battery hanging off the charger is stupid.
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

jlroberts280 wrote: Also, while I agree that there are better brands, I have used and abused my Ryobi tools and they refuse to break. The batteries have lasted a long time and they owe me nothing.
Everybody says that. Even me. But until I can break or wear out my Ryobi 18 v drill, and I have been trying for 8 years now, I find it hard figure out why any other brand is better. And 2 replacement batteries for $50? What other brand sells one for that? I just replaced my first battery after 8 years on the original 2. I will spend the extra money to own the best, but you have to prove to me it is best first. Heck, I can even live with my charging station :)

Has anyone bought the cordless caulking gun yet?
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim

Post by Tim »

It's hard to beat the Ryobi drills for value. That's why I keep buying them. The old-style and new LI Ryobi batteries are cross-compatible with the chargers (and the "charge center") and with both kinds of tools, which is a nice feature.
jlroberts280 wrote:Tim do you find a big difference in the green LI batteries when used with the older style drill and other tools? I need to replace a few batteries and want to know if the extra cost is justified.
I'll let you know. I just bought the LI tool on Wednesday, but have been using the conventional Ryobi drills for years with no complaint. This is my first LI tool, so I don't know what to expect from battery life.
Hirilondë wrote:Has anyone bought the cordless caulking gun yet?
Dave, I bought one several years ago and used it extensively while building my house (log cabin--each layer is sealed with Sikaflex between the logs, so there is lots of caulking).

Here is a link to an old thread where I talked about it a little. I haven't used it since I finished the house, but it was invaluable then. I can't imagine having to push out dozens of cases' worth of Sikaflex by hand.
Tim

Post by Tim »

By the way, everyone will surely be relieved to know that I managed to squeeze not one, but both of my new "charge centers" onto the shelf where I store and plug in all my battery chargers. Looks like I won't have to put on an addition quite yet.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I have only two cordless drills, one a Milwaukee 14.4v, now apparently outclassed by their 18v, the other a DeWalt 12v. I bought the DeWalt for use on the boat, since I could buy the 12v charger and keep the thing aboard.

I found that I could cut all the interior fins and ribs out of the case and it would hold the drill, the two batteries, both the 110v and the 12v chargers, a package of drill bits and a matching-sized package of drivers.

I packed the car a couple Fridays ago for efficient departure to the boat; the car parked in the driveway behind a gate and under lights. Unfortunately, a (presumed neighborhood) druggie found it necessary to break both of the car's passenger side windows in search of sellable loot but chose only the DeWalt in its' box, leaving the buckets containing the Fein MultiMaster with oodles of blades and paper as well as lots of other tools.

So, I tootled off to the Despot, bought another DeWalt 12v (the only 12v available) but found that the 12v charger has been modified to charge multiple voltages (how it do that??) and is much larger, and that the neat matching sized package of drivers has been replaced with a larger box of less-useful stuff. Sheesh!

A 6 boat dollar weekend, and alot of trouble!
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Tim wrote:It's hard to beat the Ryobi drills for value. That's why I keep buying them. The old-style and new LI Ryobi batteries are cross-compatible with the chargers (and the "charge center") and with both kinds of tools, which is a nice feature.
Tim, I believe the two systems are not entirely cross-compatible with regard to the chargers/Charge Center; i.e., you can charge both the NiCad and Lithium Ion batteries in the Charge Center, but you can't charge the LI batteries in the NiCad charger.
jlroberts280 wrote:Tim do you find a big difference in the green LI batteries when used with the older style drill and other tools? I need to replace a few batteries and want to know if the extra cost is justified.
I'll let you know. I just bought the LI tool on Wednesday, but have been using the conventional Ryobi drills for years with no complaint. This is my first LI tool, so I don't know what to expect from battery life.
I'll be interested to see what others experience. I've found that not only do the LI batteries last longer in the older tools, they seem to give them a bit more power.

Greg
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, that's what I meant, but I could have phrased it better. Sorry for the transgression.
gone2ddogs
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Silver Girl

Post by gone2ddogs »

I have been changing to LI because the Ni-cad batteries like the older Ryobi 18V I have will discharge on the self. Every time I pulled the old Ryobi out of a locker on the boat last summer it was dead despite having charged them before stowing them on board.

John
Triton #15
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

RYOBI RECALL ON DRILLS...FIRE HAZARD

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Since this is where most of the posts on this forum about Ryobi drill are I figured I'd tack this recall notice on here!!!

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11009.html

Ryobi Recalls Cordless Drills Due to Fire Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Ryobi Model HP 1802M Cordless Power Drills

Units: About 455,000

Importer: Ryobi Technologies Inc., of Anderson, S.C.

Hazard: The switch on the cordless drill can overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Ryobi has received 47 reports of the drills overheating, smoking, melting or catching fire, including 12 reports of property damage to homes or vehicles. Two of the incidents involved minor burns from touching an overheated switch.

Description: The Ryobi Model HP 1802M cordless drill is powered by an 18 volt rechargeable NiCad battery. The drills are blue and black in color with "Ryobi" appearing in red and white on the left side. The model number can be found on a white label on the right side of the drill.

Sold at: Home Depot from January 2001 to July 2003 for about $100.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled drill, remove the rechargeable battery and contact Ryobi to receive a free replacement drill.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Ryobi Customer Service at (800) 597-9624 between 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm's website at www.ryobitools.com
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Re: From the Bad Design File

Post by sscoll »

Hmmm.. Haven't got one of them, but a fairly new Shop Vac did pretty much the same thing recently. I've never had one threaten to go up in flames before. Started giving off quite a bit of fairly foul smoke. Had to plug it in again just to convince myself it really wasn't my imagination. Reminded me of the caution on fireworks so I hunted around for an adult to supervise me in case it emitted showers of sparks.
Steve