Soft Stickit Pad

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Bill Salter

Soft Stickit Pad

Post by Bill Salter »

I am ready to do some serious gel coat removal, and I noticed in the tools section that a 8" "soft stickit pad" was available for a 7" angle grinder. I have a 7" Bosch grinder and would like to get a soft pad for it. Where can I buy one? Can't seem to find them in the tool catalogs I have been using.

Bill
Dave, 397

Backing pads

Post by Dave, 397 »

Bill-
Check with your friendly auto body supply house...you'll find everything you need there.
Dave
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Soft Stickit Pad

Post by JetStream »

Just be careful of your erpems (RPM's). Some of the grinders have speeds way higher than the Stickit Pads are rated. I am using a GelPlane to remove gelcoat and it works well. The device is actually a cross between an angle grinder and a power planer. It uses carbide blades to cut through the gelcoat in one pass. Pricey tool but pretty cool.
Bruce
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Bill,

If you can't find one locally, you can order it from somewhere like Jamestown Distributors or Hamilton Marine.

You might also try our old industrial friend McMaster-Carr Supply. The website is a little challenging to use, but with perserverence you can usually find everything you need--and their shipping speed and service will blow your mind. Buy your sandpaper here, if nothing else--it's the best.

Bruce (Jetstream) is right, though: the large pads are only technically rated for 3000 RPM, and most grinders spin faster. My advice is to keep this in mind, but don't let it stop you from using the pad (insert full disclaimers here). I used one with some success, although the high speed of the grinder tended to wing sanding discs off the pad if I wasn't careful. Usually, this was harmless, but once, when grinding the keel, one came off onto my leg, slicing nicely through my jeans. No real harm done, but a 40 grit sanding disc coming at you at 3000 RPM doesn't feel too wonderful!

So use it with care and foreknowledge, and you should be fine. The most annoying part is spinning a brand new sanding disc off the pad, only to have it land adhesive side down (always) in a pile of dust or sand, rendering it useless!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Bill Salter

Soft Stickit Pad

Post by Bill Salter »

Thanks for the replies. I do buy all my sandpaper from McMaster-Carr, and I agree they are the best. I still don't know how they get the goods to my house so quickly. I tried to find a soft sanding pad on their website, with no luck. I'll follow up on the suggestions here.

Bill
Dave, 397

Gelcoat grinding

Post by Dave, 397 »

Bill-
I just wanted to elaborate on a point that was made earlier in the thread--
a standard grinder turns a LOT of revs--difficult to control and easy to make a mess or at least an unwanted fairing project. A 7 or 9 inch "body sander" sometimes referred to as a "sander-polisher" turns about 3500 revs max. and is more the tool you want for the job. If you do decide to use a hi-speed grinder, do make sure that the pad is rated for the revs the tool will be turning as even a foam pad can pack a mean wallop when it comes apart at 10 thou or so...not fun at all.
Best,
Dave
Bill Salter

soft stickit pad

Post by Bill Salter »

Dave

I don't disagree on the speed issue. I may just buy a sander/polisher rather than using the grinder (which I think turns at about 8,000 rpm).

Bill