Dewalt Drill Driver

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Dewalt Drill Driver

Post by Dan H »

My beloved Dewalt drill/driver fell off the deck of the boat and hit the concrete floor. It landed on the chuck and now I cannot turn the chuck shaft at all. It's completely locked up. I'm bummed.
I have removed the screw in the center of the chuck but can't get the chuck off. Anybody know how to get the chuck off this?
Thanks,
Dan
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Once you have the screw removed, chuck in a big allen wrench (as big as you can fit into the chuck), short side in. Then, with the drill on a bench, hit the allen wrench sharply with a mallet (counterclockwise) to break the chuck free from the threads. It may take several hits.

Of course, this may be difficult if you can't even tighten the chuck enough. You need to break the threads free somehow, after which the chuck will screw right off. The larger the allen wrench you insert, the less you may have to tighten the chuck, so try wedging a large one in there tightly.

DeWalt Chuck Removal
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

When I had to remove a frozen chuck it took about a hundred whacks on a pipe wrench. If I charged myself $8/hour for my labors, I could've bought a whole new drill for the time it took me to get the old chuck off.
Dan H
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Dan H »

Thank You.
I have also found a site that has parts for just about every power tool made.
It comes with a complete parts list and an exploded view. Makes it real easy.

http://www3.sears.com
Type in model # DW958K-2 TYPE 3 for example and try it, or any model number for any sander or any power tool you have. You can order on line and have the parts delivered. It's too easy. I love it.

Just thought I'd share it with everyone.
Thanks Again,
Dan