Impressive New Saw Technology

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Impressive New Saw Technology

Post by Tim »

In researching table saws, I ran across the newly-released Saw Stop. This saw features what looks to be a revolutionary new safety technology that can detect the difference between wood and human flesh, and works to instantly stop and retract the blade upon accidental contact.

There's an impressive video here: Saw Stop in Action

The saw looks to be of high quality with good features, not just the safety technology, but is substantially more expensive than the other high-end cabinet saws--about $1000 more when comparably equipped with 50" fence and extension table.

Interesting, nonetheless.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Interesting. Not sure I'd trust my finger to it!
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I've seen these too. In the tool show demonstrations, the reps put a hot dog (supposedly a near approximation of human flesh) in the saw.
POW! the blade stops. The hot dog is barely nicked.

It's easy to say this in the academic sense of course, but I must say that if my business involved frequent table saw use, I'd value my finger at more than $1000.

My hunch is that the inventors/marketers of this technology are waiting for the insurance industry to get behind them and get the units to sell themselves.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:I'd value my finger at more than $1000.
Agreed...but then again, a little care and a good push stick ($20, or free if you make it) will keep your fingers out of the saw too. I always use a push stick, unless it's a very wide board and my hands are way clear.

Obviously, the table saw is a very dangerous tool. I try to use it with great care, but who's to say something might not happen someday anyway? Never say never. The prospect of such injury is enough to keep me working carefully, but you just never know, I guess.

The question is how worried I am about it, and whether that's worth paying 50% more for a saw that may prevent serious injury. At this point, today, I have to say that I don't know, but the price is a serious stumbling block. I wish the price difference were less. Of course the price is an issue. It's a stretch to consider $2400 for a table saw in the first place; ramping that up to $3500 or more including shipping is a tough nut to crack, unfortunately.

I suspect the inventors are trying to license their invention to other saw manufacturers (I saw something about this on the web), and that the device will eventually be in all saws.

The research continues.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating