Flashlight Tag Anyone?

Tools you like...tools you hate...
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Flashlight Tag Anyone?

Post by hesper »

For some reason, I've been thinking I'd like to buy a good flashlight for myself. It's a "tool" that I would use almost every day/night, should last for quite a while, and one I can hide from the kids and my wife. I've been checking out different sites and have seen alot of info but I'm looking for real-life recommendations/reviews.

Here are my thoughts/requirements

1. Mostly to carry while walking the dog at night. Not for security as much as for avoiding skunks, lighting up objects between 50-100 feet away etc.
2. Would be intermitent use as opposed to continually lighting up a path.
3. Should be wicked bright, focused beam
4. Doesn't have to be tiny. As a matter of fact, a little size is good so can handle with gloves.
5. Should be one-hand operable.
6. I'm thinking LED with alkeline batteries as opposed to Lithium for sake of cost and convenience.
7. Should be about $20-35 although I'll try to be open minded (can you beleive some of the $100+ "Executive" flashlights out there?)

I know, lots of requirements and limited budget.

But hey, this is a site devoted to folks who can discuss seacocks for 6 months, 46 posts and counting;). I'm sure that the tool and gadget afficianados here can lend me their insight.
Thanks in advance

Jim
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Well, I just checked the retail price in the West Marine catalog, and it's $154, so it doesn't fit your bill, but I love the Sure-Fire 8NX Commander I got for xmas a few years ago.
It lived in the car for the first few months, but it started to grow legs far too often, so now it never leaves the boat.
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Curmudgeon »

I'm a big fan of the Petzl LED headlamps. I use mine for everything from late-night checkups on the boat, hiking, X-C skiing, to working on electronics. The headlamp leaves both hands free for any chores you might be doing, and is so lightweight you forget you're wearing it. They can be purchased in Canada at http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 8059692165 but most outdoor stores elsewhere should have the same or similar. I have the Petzl Tikka and it'll be on-the-boat whenever the 'ongoing project' finally touches the briney.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Maglites are always nice, but I have no idea what they're costing now.

Another thought, which may not fit the bill at all, is the tool-based flashlights that share batteries with drills, etc. Just stay away from false advertising from Home Depot! hehe

I also second the thoughts on the headlamps. Even if this doesn't fit the task you're looking for in your post, these headlamps are great to have on the boat, so you can have light while keeping both hands free. You can find these anywhere, and they run from very cheap to extremely fancy and expensive.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

But hey, this is a site devoted to folks who can discuss seacocks for 6 months, 46 posts and counting;).
Did we just get diss'ed? hehe.

Okay, I have nothing to add to the stimulating and insightful responses.

I was going to say Maglites are great and prove their worth in a bar fight...

Headlamps are a must have. They allow you to use your hands to extricate yourself from the nethermost regions of the biges when you have slithered in just a bit too far...

Lights that use the batteries from your rechargable tools are extremely useful. I had one on my boat all summer because I forgot to take it out of my tool bag. The battery still has some life in it...

I have all the above and wouldn't part with any of them.

-Britton
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

C'mon Britton, I'm reading all the posts myself. Water on the brain is a serious condition but one I've come to embrace!
A30_John
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by A30_John »

My flashlight of choice is the Pelican Super Sabre Lite. It's very tough, waterproof, and gives out great light. The only requirement it doesn't meet on your list is it's not "one hand operable." The light is turned on and off by twisting the head of the flashlight. To me this means no switch to break or wear out.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/npb20.html
Last edited by A30_John on Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I'm a traditionalist and a big fan of the MagLite. I've been using them ever since I was in boy scouts and the brightness of your beam determined your rank in the tribe.

They're cheap and brighter than hell. Bring two and mesmerize a few deer while you're lighting up that dark path. Also, the fact that they make great clubs satisifies my inner-Neanderthal.

But I gotta ask:
one I can hide from the kids and my wife
???? :)
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

Bring two and mesmerize a few deer while you're lighting up that dark path. Also, the fact that they make great clubs satisifies my inner-Neanderthal.
Do you mesmerize the deer with one flashlight, and then club it with the other? ;-)
John
hesper
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by hesper »

Jason,

Those Maglights are pretty nice and the price is right. Saw a 2-D cell light the other night. Not bad at all. They're pretty heavy but I'm leaning towards one as opposed to the $40 LED.

With regard to hiding the light from the wife and (3)kids...I assume you're married with kids. If so, I'm sure you have experienced trying to find that favorite hammer or other tool that should be right where you last left it. (think TV clicker) After you turn the house inside-out, you might find it outside - on the grass - with the sprinkler running - rusting. Or, if the item is battery powered, you'll find that it was left running and now the batteries are dead. Or, it's been used for some task that the designers never envisioned and now is rendered completely usless for its intended purpose.
Now, I might be a little obsessive about some things and I don't want to even think about the psychological reasons for that. Suffice to say that there are certain things that I keep to myself like my rigging knife, favorite hammer, etc. And, if you're someone who hesitates to lend out tools you'll understand. That's why I'm pretty sure that I'll be hiding my nice new flashlight.
See ya!
jim
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

After you turn the house inside-out, you might find it outside - on the grass - with the sprinkler running - rusting
No rust if you get the Super Sabre! :-D
John
kabauze
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Nevermind
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #450

Post by kabauze »

A30_John wrote:My flashlight of choice the Pelican Super Sabre Lite. It's very tough, waterproof, and gives out great light. The only requirement it doesn't meet on your list is it's not "one hand operable." The light is turned on and off by twisting the head of the flashlight. To me this means no switch to break or wear out.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/npb20.html
I've got to second that vote. I bought one of these 10 years ago and it's seen some very hard use and still works flawlessly. I don't think it has even burned out a bulb in all that time. It's very bright and focuses well. At the time I bought it, it was warranted for life against everything but "bear attack and children under 5".
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

I assume you're married with kids.
Never! :)
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

The Pelican Super Sabre flashlight (I too got mine from Landfall Navigation) is very very bright for a flashlight of its size. We love it. It is also certified by just about every safety organization imaginable --explosion proof, waterproof to something like 500 feet (it is commonly used by divers), etc., etc....

But it does take two hands to turn it on or off.

Regards,

Tim
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

catamount wrote:explosion proof
ummmm. Yikes?!
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Explosion proof -- yeah, for miners and other workers who might need a flashlight when entering a dark confined space that could be full of explosive fumes and vapors....

"The SabreLite? is approved for FM, CSA, EX, CE, MSHA, AUS, and UL standards making the flashlight safe to be used in gaseous or electrical hazardous environments.

The most safety approved flashlight in the world!

FM Class I, Div. 2
UL Class I, Div. 1
CSA Class I, Div. 2
MSHA: Tested for use in methane-air mixture only."

It is also noted that "Accidental turn on and mechanical switch failure is eliminated because of the rotary on/off switch." But, it still takes two hands...
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Ah! Ignition protected. I was thinking more like "non-dynamite" as in "this flashlight is guaranteed not to explode if you drop it"
CapnK
Site Admin

Post by CapnK »

Someone out there is now making LED inserts for Mag lites - a great idea. I don't have a name, try Googling for it.

I've an LED light that I bought at West for about $65US, its called a "Coast LED Lenser", 1 high output LED that is incredibly bright and white for an LED, lasts a *really* long time on alkalines, and I think you can find it cheaper by $15US or more on the web. Highly recommended.

As a gift last year, I was given a SureFire Nitrolon (I think thats the name), about $35 retail. ***Really really*** bright, though costly to operate - uses special batteries (that last 1 hour per pair), and a replacement bulb is $16US. I regard it as a special purpose tool, and use it sparingly for reasons of economy. I wouldn't have bought it personally, but the thing works like a mini-spotlight, so I use it for night nav, it's not as blinding to night vision as a Q-beam type spot is. It'll pick up an ICW daymarker from several hundred yards away, and is about the same size as a 2-AA normal flashlight.

And last, WalMart sells a nice little LED light made by Garrity for about $12US, comes with red and blue lens covers, runs on alkalines, nothing too fancy about it. I use it a lot around the boat, for nighttime reading in case I fall asleep (low battery drain, I don't feel guilty). I've had it for over 8 months, still on the batteries that came with it.
Kurt and Barque, the CrewDog.
Katie Marie, Ariel #422
Melelani, Islander 36 (shoal)

sailFar.net - Small boats, Long distances...