Cordless drills/screwdrivers

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Cordless drills/screwdrivers

Post by Figment »

(tim asked me to explain my general dislike of cordless drills)

I don't mean to get off on a Rant here, but......

#1 Size: It seems that whenever i'm using a drill, either as a drill or as a screwdriver, I'm using it up under the dashboard of a car, or inside some kitchen cabinetry or other furniture, or down in some little nook in the nether reigons of a boat. Cordless units never seem to be able to get into the required position because of their bulk.

#2 Cost: Because their gadget-appeal is their primary selling point, manufacturers are constantly adding new little doodad features, which in addition to adding SIZE, escalates the cost. Really now, how many of us need the "hammerdrill" feature? or the dozen torque settings? or the laser rangefinder? or the espresso grinder attachment? Each of these doodads drives the cost of an already overpriced tool even higher, and the manufacturer's seemingly cannot stop one-upping each other.

#3 Power: Most cordless units don't have enough power. The few that do either kill their batteries in an hour, or have batteries the size of my fist hanging off the tail, further contributing to dislike #1.

#4 petpeeve: They're the number-one father's day and christmas gift idea (they passed the electric shaver about 5 years ago, I read). I tend to scorn anything so heavily marketed.

I swore off of cordless drills about 5 years ago. maybe the technology has advanced, maybe I need to do some homework, but I paid $50 for my little 3/8" dewalt corded drill about 10 years ago, and it's earned its money ten times over. It always has plenty of oomph (occasionally too much, but that's the fault of the operator, not the tool), and it generally fits where I need it to fit.

Exhale. End of Rant.

Recent case in point..... Tim, when reading up on your chainplate installation, I noticed that you needed a right-angle attachment for your drill in order to drill your bolt holes. I needed no such attachment. I'm sure there's something else different between our two installations, but I wonder if maybe your drill isn't just a bit larger than mine?

Anyway, like I said in the Ramblings.... It looks like I'm in the market for one, so I'm all ears to any suggestions or advice from youse guyz.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Well, I did ask! Good thing I never have any strong feelings or opinions myself...perish the thought! Ha!

Long and boring manifesto follows. (Subjective, of course!)

I for one cannot imagine a project-infested lifestyle without at least one, and preferably two cordless drills (plus several corded ones too). I too am in the market for a new one--one destined for life ONLY on the boat, so I can keep my two good ones at home.

For anyone that cares (and I feel sorry that you have nothing better to do!), here are my thoughts on Figment's valid points, which I agree with on some level, but:

1. This can be the case sometimes--but it's the case regardless of the tool in many instances, it seems. Must be Murphy's Law or something. FWIW, I have recently been seeing ads on TV for a cordless that has a multi-position handle that is supposed to help address this sort of complaint. See #2.

2. Cost--yes, who needs the idiotic gadgets; I couldn't agree more. But they only put this junk on the wimpy "homeowner"-type units. Buy commercial--Dewalt, Porter Cable. Don't buy the hammer drill if you don't need it. But a lot of people (contractors) do. There's always another choice. I never use the toque settings either--I just set it on the "drill" setting and leave it. Yeah, I strip a screw now and then. Oh well.

It's worth paying the premium price for one of these industrial-grade tools. You get what you pay for, and they last and work even under extreme abuse. My poor drills have been dropped to the ground from dizzying heights so many times I have lost count, dipped in epoxy and solvents, left outside, dropped on concrete, blah blah. They just shake it off.

And yes, we're paying a premium cost because of the batteries. Batteries are expensive, plain and simple, and cost more than the basic technology needed for the corded units.

If the tools weren't so useful in so many ways in so many places for nearly any job you could ever think of, I'd have a problem with the price too. But paying $100 or even $200 or more for a quality tool that works, and therefore gets used nearly daily for years seems worth it to me.

3. Power--I can't agree here. There's gobs of power to be had; he torque in a 14 or 18 volt cordless drill will rip the thing out of your hand if the bit gets hung up. And batteries last much longer than they used to. To that end, it's foolish to buy a drill anymore without a second battery and quick charger--most better drills come with this standard now anyway. I've never been involved in a job where I could use up the powerful batteries faster than the second one could be charged. There have been some major improvements in this arena in the past years. The first generation cordless drills were definitely pretty useless and were anemic by comparison.

Batteries too big? Well, choose your compromise, I guess! Size vs. power. 14.4 volts is more than adequate for almost any job, and these batteries aren't overly large. 12 volts is probably acceptable for almost everything, though I prefer larger ones myself. I have 14.4 and 18 volt Dewalts. Big--yes. Too big--almost never. And who needs a trip to the gym if you're using one of these! Pump drills, not iron. Oh, and if you need something smaller, you'll still have that corded drill available for use wherever electricity is provided. Sometimes it does make a difference--I agree.

4. I echo #2: buy commercial, not the stuff marketed for Father's day with tool belts built into the handles, or whatever. Dewalt is my favored brand, and is less marketed and less gadgety than some of the cheesy ones you see plastered all over the TV and Sears flyers. In almost all cases it's worth the extra price.

I also have one of those little 3/8" Dewalt corded drills, and it's a great tool. But having to drag a cord out all the time means that I rarely use it except in the shop--and still rarely. The cordless ones are so good that there's simply no need, unless I need a pilot drill, separate countersink, and driver bit all at once. That's where the multiple tools come in handy--no bit changing, just change tools.

Regarding the chainplate installation: well, given so many variations in how Tritons are built, from year to year and boat to boat, it is likely that there may be some slight clearance differences between #381 and #78. It could also be a drill bit length issue too. I couldn't even fit my faithful corded Dewalt in there, so there must be something else at work. When removing bulkheads from #100 the other week, I did notice that the arrangement is different than on #381, particularly on the starboard side. So differences do exist, to be sure.

The point of this ridiculousness is not to point out flaws in your thoughts--that's certainly not the case--but more to highlight why I, personally, think they are handy as anything, and how my own experiences have been somewhat different.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

My 12 volt dewalt cordless is the only power tool I don't think I could live without. I echo everything Tim said. As for power, you can actually injure yourself torquing your wrist if the bit gets hung up, and the battery technology is so good now that its totally not an issue at all. The quick charger puts my battery back to full charge in under 40 minutes.

Yup, it is bigger than a corded drill, and a bit heavier, but I wouldn't give it up for the world.

As far as a drill specifically for the boat: I'd take a look at the new Delta ShopMaster drill. As you may know, Delta recently spun off a separate line of tools--the shopmaster tools--which are aimed at high-end amateur users, and initial reviews have been pretty positive. I saw their shopmaster cordless 12 volt-- looks almost exactly like the DeWalt model, except blue--for 89 bucks. Comes with 2 batteries and quick charger, plus metal case. I haven't picked one up, but the price is pretty fair, and they are reputed to be a tough little drill. Obviously, they don't have the long history of the DeWalt etc yet, so only time will really tell. But it's probably at least looking into as a promising tool, especially if you are looking at something to live on the boat.

On the other hand, if you buy a DeWalt, I'd be amazed if you weren't impressed...

End of my $.02

Post by Guest »

Well, it looks like I may need to pull me head outta me arse after all.

5 minutes on froogle tells me that these things are a lot less expensive than I remember. I was expecting $200+ for a quality unit, but it looks like 14.4V is running $75-$130 depending on manufacturer. At this point, what's another $150 tool investment?

I'm also one of the bigger anti-cellphone nuts you're likely to meet, but guess what's brandeynew sitting on the shelf with my keys over there courtesy of the wifey...... I suppose the dam has broken on my long-held personal convictions this week.

So, what's this Jeff says about Dasein being faster than Glissando? ;)
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Well... I'll leave it for Tim to explain. Tim?

I just got my first cell phone about 2 weeks ago... I too was hugely anti-cell-phone, but with the wife being 6 mos pregnant, and me spending lots of time on the boat, she put her foot down... And it has come in handy at least once: Tim called to invite us over for cocktails after sailing on Saturday! ;-P
Dave,397

Cordless drills

Post by Dave,397 »

First, I wish to compliment our good man Fig on his frugality and good taste. I have the same De Walt corded drill, and have yet been able to kill it. I used to have a really really nice and compact and equally ancient Skil VSR-type 3/8 with a magnesium alloy case and a ridiculous looking but very nice, stubby little grip. If you see one, get one...it's worth the cost of the new cord, brushes and bearings. The alloy case did not like falling 40 feet onto a concrete driveway. (Note to self: Always tie off the cords to each other, even if it's 'just for a minute'. Good call to tie off the extension to the staging, but it does not help tool. Self out.)

Second, my vote for the fave cordless is the simple old 9.6v Makita. I have one that is at least 10 years old and very used, and it works well. the batteries are a bit costly when you need to replace, and it is best to have two or three...but the drill is light, reasonably gutsy, and not much bigger overall than most corded drills, although the handle is longer.
A fellow I know has actually built decks with one of these on several occasions. They truly do work!

Maybe I should not admit it, but i actually do have a holster and belt for it.
There is a time and a place for everything.

Dave
manos
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Efaki
Boat Type: Mirage 28 - Thames Marine

Cordless drills

Post by manos »

I can't agree more to the argument that good quality tools pay off their excess value. That's why the last few years I slowly replace (my old ones) and build up my tool collection with "expensive" tools. Regarding the cordless drill that I have bought almost 10 years back (a techline which to the best of my knowledge is the cheap version of the Bosch brand) the thought I had at the time and which served me well was: sooner or later batteries die and are expensive to replace if available at all. That's why I chose the 12V version which while working at the boat I use without it's ownthe battery but with a self made wire connected to the boat's main battery. I use the cordless drill's own battery only in occasions that the wire I made is not long enough (par example up the mast). My cordless drill serves me well up to now but when it dies it will be certainly replaced by a reputable one.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I should add that one of the things that led me to purchase my 18 volt Dewalt was that it had a 1/2" chuck (as do most of the 18 volt and larger drills). Sometimes, that's a help (hole saws, larger bits, etc).

Usually a 3/8" is fine, but if there's any chance you might need to use any bit with a 1/2" shank, consider the larger tool if it's your only one.

Just a random thought that I was reminded of as I scoped out the Delta Shopmaster line on the web. Hadn't heard of that...though I've been out of the tool market for some time. Delta is a good name, so I would think these hand (power) tools would be OK too.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Figment wrote:So, what's this Jeff says about Dasein being faster than Glissando? ;)
It was all done with smoke and mirrors!

I good-naturedly admit that, at least in light winds, Dasein has a decided speed advantage. Not all that surprising, really. I maintain that the boats are roughly compatible in heavier winds--say, 8-10 knots or more.

But, other than catching the proper wind shifts and other tactical things, neither boat is going to steam by the other in any wind conditions. Whatever the difference, it's not a huge one! Yes, I need to defend my baby's honor!
Dasein wrote:And it has come in handy at least once: Tim called to invite us over for cocktails after sailing on Saturday! ;-P
This may be the only true function of the cell phone on either of our boats. With inconsistent VHF monitoring on both boats, and our moorings separated by 1/2 mile or so, it seems this is the only way for a gracious "loser" to invite his competition over for a friendly Mt. Gay.

Other than that, cell phones are evil, and I hate them and refuse to carry mine.
Figment

Re: Cordless drills

Post by Figment »

manos wrote: That's why I chose the 12V version which while working at the boat I use without it's ownthe battery but with a self made wire connected to the boat's main battery.
Oh, that is just BRILLIANT!!!

Ever tried jumpstarting the boat with the drill's battery? ;)

Seriously, though; I love that idea. You just got me off the fence between 12V and 14.4V.

12 volt units on Froogle:

Delta shopmaster $65
Black & Decker $80
Bosch $100
Porter Cable $100
Makita $110
Panasonic $110
Milwaukee $125
DeWalt $140

All above are the standard package that includes 2 batteries, charger, and case.

I discard DeWalt just because it's the highest.
I dig Milwaukee, but still too much.
panasonic? you gotta be kidding.
Makita... solid. in the running.
PC I dig. They make great routers.
Bosch I dig. They make a fantastic jigsaw.
B&D I dunno why I bothered.
Delta has me thinking. The company has a solid reputation, but why are they so much lower than the rest?

So really it's down to PorterCable, Bosch, or Delta.

Any gut feelings from the peanut gallery?
Tim

Post by Tim »

My gut feeling, of the three remaining on your list:

Porter Cable.

I'd have to see the Delta drill before deciding on that. It is a substantial cost difference, which makes me wonder if it's not really more in the league of some of the homeowner-type ones on the market--dunno. It also looks quite similar to some of the ones sold under house names, like Chicago Electric or Northern Industrial or some such. I once had a noname 14 volt cordless that I ordered for $19.99. It served remarkably well, but was el-cheapo for sure. Eventually, the case shattered--unlike the bulletproof ones on a good drill, but I could still use it. Then the really cheap charger basically got unsafe, and I abandoned the tool. It was still worth the 20 bucks, but...

The Bosch jigsaw you mention is the best I've ever used, but I've never used any other of their tools.

I think PC generally makes an outstanding, hard-working tool and would feel comfortable buying anything they make.

I'm still thinking Dewalt, meself. A new 14.4 for the house, and retire the older one to the boat. $169 at Tool King. Haven't researched too much further yet. FWIW, they have the 12V Dewalt for $129, with free shipping.
Figment

Post by Figment »

Hey there Tim Taylor! why not just go for one of the new 24-Volt units?!!!

PorterCable fell out of the running today. The link to the $100 price I found was a fraud that jumped to a chicago electric $25 junker. Lowest price I can find on that one now is $140, and I read a few reviews that complained of breakdowns. yeah, i was surprised at that too.

Bosch is the current favorite.

but wait...... Dewalt comes screaming out of the pack to challenge.....

DeWalt has a "compact" model (DW927K-2 for those who want to follow along) that's probably an inch less in overall length. I think they engineered-out that extra inch by ditching the hammerdrill feature. ToolKing has a reconditioned unit for $100. I think we've found our winner, but I'm going to sleep on it for a couple of days, and pop into Big Orange for some playtime with the actual units themselves.
Tim

Post by Tim »

OK, so I get a little over-enthused when talking about this stuff. I'm a dork...what can I say? ;<)

Does anyone have direct experience buying and using these reconditioned tools? I've often been tempted, but have never bought one.

Oh, and my own price-reducing, pet-peeve tip to the tool manufacturers: Ditch the stupid storage cases. I never use them and would prefer to either not clog up my valuable space with empty cases and/or to not have to throw them away, which is what I normally do.

At least offer it as an option for deletion if desired.
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

cordless drills

Post by The Good Goose »

I have used the 18 volt Ryobi for the past two years. I use it daily as I am a contractor. It is around 100.00. It is not quite as powerful as a Dewalt and the batteries don't charge quite as fast but it is almost a third the cost. I think it would be an excellant choice for a boat drill. I also thought of a 12 volt with wires soldered to the battery connections and a long cord to a 12 volt outlet might be a good option. No need to worry about batteries and I rarely use a drill when I'm just sailing. Usually its a project where I bring my cordless drill out to the boat anyway.

Brock
Figment

Post by Figment »

Ok, I've had the cordless drill for a week now. You guys were right.

I got the reconditioned 12V dewalt compact mentioned above. The only sign that it's not brand-new is the fact that paint has rubbed out of the "torque settings" numbers. It runs like a champ.
Mark W, Elite 32

My $0.02 worth

Post by Mark W, Elite 32 »

Agree wholeheartedly on the "don't buy cheap" philosophy - I bought a 12V Black and Decker (the green pro range) 5 years ago, lasted about 3 years, but for $75.00 I guess its not bad.

ABSOLUTELY agree with the dual battery and fast charger - both my drills come with this set up :

1. Porter Cable 18V (non hammer) - Loads of grunt, drill through3/8 steel, most hardwoods - packs a punch and will rip your arm off.

2. Ryobi 14v - came in a set with a small circular saw - batteries alternate between the two tools - a 3rd battery on this set up may be nice. This is the drill for overhead drilling (due to weight - or lack of) and it my drill of choice to take to and often leave on the boat.

Fair winds

Mark

http://www.wilme.net
Curmudgeon
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Cordless drills/screwdrivers...

Post by Curmudgeon »

I've gone a different direction than most of you - cheap and plentiful. Last weekend I bought a new Jobmate-brand 14.4Volt cordless drill for $39 CDN. I have no illusions about how long it will last, but I'd rather have half-a-dozen cheap drills around me, than one expensive long-lasting one. For critical tools (table-saw for one) I buy the absolute best I can afford. As for drills, a plentiful mix of inexpensive corded and battery units works for me.