Cabinet Saws

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Cabinet Saws

Post by Tim »

I'm soon (within a year, anyway) to be in the market for a new cabinet saw (tablesaw), and have just begun researching the choices. Frankly, there are too many products in each manufacturer's line; I have trouble telling the differences between some of them.

Anyway, there are pretty much three brand choices: Jet, Powermatic, and Delta. All three seem to share very similar characteristics. I wonder if anyone with some experience with any or all of these might have some insight as to the performance, or any must-have features.

Some specific areas on which I would enjoy some input:

1. My current saw, and most contractor saws, have left-tilting blades. While you can get any cabinet saw with a left-tilt blade, most are also offered with a right-tilting blade. My question is: why would one want a right tilt blade? What performance difference might this make?

2. I will have a 50" fence and full outfeed table. While I lean towards the Biesemeyer fence, I honstly doubt there's a big performance difference between the Delta Unifence, Jet/Powermatic Xacta-fence, and the old standby Biesemeyer. Anyone have any specific comments here?

3. These saws are all minimum 3HP 230V, single phase, which is likely where I will end up. Still, some of the saws are offered with 5 HP and 3-phase electric. I don't think I truly need the 5 HP saw for what I do. However, I don't know what the difference between single phase and 3-phase is. Can anyone explain this in laymans terms?

4. I know that many feel the industrial Powermatic saw is the best performer. But how much, if any, tangible difference is there between any of these three brands, when comparing similar price points and features? All of these cabinet saws featured finely ground, heavy tables, precise fences, and so forth. Any real negatives to any of these three saws?

5. I know there are some great old saws, but I'm not going to be searching for a used tool. I will be buying new, and pretty much expect it to be one of the three brands mentioned here, unless anyone has another suggestion that I have overlooked. I'm steering clear of Craftsman, as I think I can do better, and also will steer clear of the imported tools.

Thanks everyone. I'm interested in any and all opinions and thoughts.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating