Ryobi Tools

Tools you like...tools you hate...
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Ryobi Tools

Post by Tim »

I'm looking for some real-world experiences with Ryobi cordless power tools.

I'm looking at adding another cordless drill to my arsenal, and my search got me looking at some of the cordless combo kits (you know, the ones with the drill, circular saw, and a variety of other tools, depending on the kit). Convenientely, I just received new catalogs from Tool Crib and a big Home Despot tool catalog, for comparison.

I have to say that the low, low prices on some of the Ryobi combo kits at the Home Despot are quite tantalizing, but I have to stop and wonder what these tools are really like. How can Ryobi offer 7, 18-volt tools, two batteries, and charger, for $249? Or a drill, circular saw, and flashlight, with 2 batteries and charger, for $119? I'm also tempted by the $49 caulking gun.*

Are these tools absolute junk? By comparison, I was looking at a nice Dewalt 4-tool kit, with 18 volt hammerdrill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, and flashlight, for $499, plus a free extra tool worth up to $150 by rebate (though the extra tools offered are nothing too exciting to me).

Immediate Ryobi negatives: the circular saw is only 5-1/2", no good for sawing thicker lumber at an angle. The Dewalt circular saw is 6-1/2", which would be more useful. That's worth the upgrade, probably.

I demand a lot of tools, and would rather pay more for something quality. Still, these low, low prices are hard to ignore. If I could get several solid years out of the tools, that would be worth it. If I drop one to the floor and it shatters, it's worthless. (DeWalts survive numerous drops 8' to concrete, so I have to expect the same from any tools I now buy.)

I shouldn't really buy the expensive combo kit, but have also reached a point where I cannot bother myself with junk. That said, I don't have a pressing need for any of these extra tools. I suppose I ought to drag myself into the store and actually compare things in person.

I'd appreciate any real-world comments on Ryobi cordless tools. Thanks!

*Yes, after years of wondering why in the world one might need an electric caluking gun, I have come to understand their potential benefit, after forcing out hundreds of feet worth of stiff adhesive and caulking by hand.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by The Good Goose »

Tim

having used both I would equate the difference to that of a vw beatle to a toyota camry. the ryobi is very durable and works fairly well it keeps going when dropped and gets the job done. The 18 volt drill doesn't have quite as much power as the dewalt and doesn't feel as solid in your hand. The chuck is not as good; although I think there is room for improvement on the Dewalt as well. It loosens more easily in use then the Dewalt. I haven't used too many other cordless ryobi tools but the ones I have used are quite servicable and have proven pretty resistant to rough use bordering on abuse. I am in the trades so I use my tools every day. The down sides of the tools seem to be more the little things. The mechanicisms don't slide as easily. The saws seem to have a tad more vibration. The fit in the hand and the balance is not as good.

They definately are not disposable. Every one I have purchased has given me good service and lasted well. I tend to be very hard on tools so I think you would find them sturdy enough. Whether the quality of the other features would be good enough probably depends on how often you would be using them.

Try a 89 or 99 dollar drill flashlight combo. I always bring mine with me to my boat. The flashlight is great and doesn't require alot of juice. If you hate the drill leave it on the boat as your boat drill. If it is ok use it in your shop for awhile and then buy the kit.

The cordless drill works well for me but when my skilsaw crapped out I bought a Dewalt The cut is so smooth compared to my old porter cable and I know it would be much smoother then a Ryobi. I'm sure I could frame a couple of houses with a Ryobi no problem but it's really nice to have a smooth cutting nicely balanced tool.

Hopes this helps
Brock
The Good Goose

Post by The Good Goose »

Tim

Just a quick aside on the caulking gun. I used to work with a guy who always wanted an air powered caulking gun. He used to say" look at the mess I just made with this caulking gun. Imagine how much quicker and bigger a mess I could make with an air one."

good luck on your selection
Brock
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks, Brock. I appreciate your thoughts--just was I was looking for. Good thought on the flashlight/drill combo--maybe that's what I'll do.
The Good Goose wrote:Just a quick aside on the caulking gun. I used to work with a guy who always wanted an air powered caulking gun. He used to say" look at the mess I just made with this caulking gun. Imagine how much quicker and bigger a mess I could make with an air one."
hehe...yeah, that's probably about right, isn't it?
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

I have an air-powered caulking gun, an ancient Sears model. It's the greatest ... no more wrist and finger pain. I re-bedded my toe rails with it, using 3m 5200. Yes, you can make a bigger mess and go through more caulk, but you don't have to, and it's a real muscle saver!!

Go for it, Tim ... you'll wonder how you ever got along without one :-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Tim

Post by Tim »

For what it's worth, I ended up ordering the Ryobi 18v. drill/flashlight kit, and for the fun of it threw in the stupid caulking gun too! :<)

heartofgold

Post by heartofgold »

Tim,

I have been wanting to reply ever since you started this thread, but this is the first chance I have had to add in my two pennies.

We have two cordless drills in our inventory (at work), one a Ryobi, the other a DeWalt (both the 18 volt variety). Both are well balanced--prehaps the Ryobi is slightly better. The DeWalt is somewhat more compact. The Ryobi definately more stable sitting on its battery. I like DeWalts chuck better, but I see nothing wrong with the one on the Ryobi. Either would make an excellent choice.

I own a Makita, 14.4v, and except for the cost of a replacement battery $80.00, I am very pleased with the unit. I had to replace the motor around Christmas, and it was less than $20.00. Go figure. My next drill will likely be an 18v, either a Makita or a Milwaukee (I really like the way the Milwaukee fits in my hand and the chuck is the best I have seen); but I probably won't replace mine for some time to come.
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Post by tartan30cirrus »

Tim,

The Ryobi 18V will rip for sure...I have a Ryobi 12V and got used to it. Then, I picked up a 14.4V Makita and fell in love. It was so balanced...felt solid, ripped like hell....it is like getting used to Hershey chocolate then having some Godiva or the like...not always better (depends on taste!) but the quaity is evident. I think you will like the unit...i wonder how your batteries will do. I found the life of my Ryobi batteries to be the real limiting factor on the drill's performance...take care of the batteries is my tip.

Cheers,
Clint
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
Tim

Post by Tim »

It's a moot point since Home DESpot never managed to ship this out. I got one cryptic email about the tool being out of stock and nothing since. I never followed up at the time because I figured it would be a temporary delay, rather than a permanent fatal error (which it apparently is).

Great way to run an online business. Send out catalogs with this junk highlighted, but when you want to order it forget it. Never again.

Eventually I'll just buy the DeWalt I wanted in the first place. This must be a sign, somehow. Sticking with DeWalt makes the most sense anyway, since the new tool will be compatible with all my existing batteries and vise-versa.
tartan30cirrus
Topside Painter

Post by tartan30cirrus »

TOTALLY! That was a true sign...an omen. Amazing how that works.

I am sure having fun with tool shopping. It's an investment, right?

Cheers,
Clint
Clinton B. Chase
Tartan 30 #388 Cirrus
Portland, Maine
george
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by george »

I went to Sears and got an 18-volt light and cordless drill with two power supplies (it looks exactly what like Tim pictured above, only different color scheme) for $79.

It was on a clearance table and had to be mispriced! The batteries are worth more than that.

That or Craftsman really does stink. Also, the drill only has a 3/8 chuck.

Moral of the story being you can find some steals on clearance tables.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Today, September 29, I received the following cryptic email from my good friends at Home Depot.
The Idiots at Home Depot Customer Non-Service wrote:Hello Timothy,

Thank you for your recent homedepot.com order.

Unfortunately, due to high demand, we are unable to fill your order
on-line for the 18V Drill Kit W/ Flashlight. At this time we have
released the remaining items on your order for shipping. We apologize
for any inconvenience this may cause you and invite you to browse our
web site for an updated list of available items you may be interested
in.

Please have your order number available when calling about your order.
For your convenience your order number is listed below.

Your order number is: 96829826

If you have any questions, please contact us 1-800-430-3376 or reply to
this email.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
homedepot.com
I placed the order for these tools in mid-June of this year, and a couple weeks thereafter received a very poor message containing no real information, but saying something to the effect that the drill was backordered and currently unavailable. I did not receive any of the remaining order, nor did I receive any further correspondence. Admittedly I did not call the number provided in that original email for more information, but I imagined that I might be looking at a 2 or 3 week delay or something at the outside, so I decided to be patient and just let the stuff show up on its own. After some time, I alternately forgot about and gave up on the order entirely.

Then, I receive the above email. Sorry, guys, but April Fools was months ago, so I guess I have to believe they're actually serious here, in that they're sending out some part of my order that I placed THREE MONTHS AGO. As if I would remotely consider accepting anything from these jerks at this point.

I've never seen such a travesty of customer service in my life, and I buy almost exclusively through mail order and online. Forget that the tool is unavailable--OK, fair enough. But to leave me hanging for all these months? Are they kidding me?

I normally go out of my way to avoid this place anway, but was sucked into this order thanks to their nice catalog that they sent me days before I placed this order. Now I know why I'd rather pay more at the local store.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

There's a reason why I have 3 or 4 voided checks to these wingnuts on which I mistakently wrote "pay to the order of: Home Despot".
Maine Sail

Tim I know this is an old thread but..

Post by Maine Sail »

This past christmas I needed a new cordless drill. I had my heart set on a Panasonic. Fortunately I went to Home Depot before hitting Advantage Gas. They had a huge 18 volt Ryobi kit on sale for $339.00. I purchased it on a whim and absolutely love it. My kit came with a ..

Jig Saw
Sawzall
Right Angle Drill
Drill
Skill Saw
Electric Chain Saw
Impact Wrench Drill
Flashlight
Two Batteries
Charger

I use the impact driver all the time as well as the mini skill saw & jig saw. I plan on using the electric chain saw for light hedge trimming. The selling point for me was that replacement batteries are two for $39.99. My DeWalt 18V required $100.00 ea. batteries that last a year at best!! I've had no problems with any of the tools and most often reach for them first because I don't have to plug in!!

I'm usually a tool snob Porter Cable, Hitachi, Milwakee etc. but this kit makes sense and works fine..
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Tim

Post by Tim »

I did end up caving and buying a smaller combo kit (Ryobi) some time after I posted this diatribe. It was $119 for 5 or 6 tools, and you're right: the value for the money is there.

That said, I still prefer my DeWalts and other pro-quality tools, but I have no complaint as to the utility of the inexpensive Ryobi tools, for what they are. For most needs, they are more than enough.