Pressure cooker size

Tools you like...tools you hate...
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Pressure cooker size

Post by lsheaf »

Does anyone have sizing recommendations on a pressure cooker for 1-2 people?

I’ll mostly be single handing but would like to be able to cook for 2.

I’m thinking a 1.5 liter or 3 liter model.

Logan
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Pressure cooker size

Post by atomvoyager »

I don't know if anyone else here has a recommendation but I would get at least 2 liter capacity even if cooking small amounts since it's easier to deal with a half full pot than one that is close to full.
lsheaf
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Stardust
Boat Type: Allied Seawind 30

Post by lsheaf »

Okay I think I’ll go with a 3 liter tall model.

https://a.co/d/g3endPs

The 3 liter tall is the same diameter as the 2 liter model but of course has more capacity. I think it will be more manageable for cooking smaller portions while having flexibility in extra capacity compared to the 2 liter.

I am thinking that a smaller diameter pressure cooker will also perform better on a alcohol stove flame as the heat is more concentrated to the center of the pot, unlike a gas burner.
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by atomvoyager »

You won't have any issue with concentrated heat on the wider standard version since liquids diffuse the heat well enough. In fact, my guess is the standard version is more efficient use of heat since it has a wider surface to capture the flame instead of some of the flame heat rolling up the side into the air before it has a chance to heat the pot. Also the wide one is more stable on the gimbals when full since it has lower center of gravity. That said, you're probably alright with either one. I see they have a 2 liter version as well.