Chesapeake 32

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
KrabKrusher
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Journeyman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Chesapeake 32

Post by KrabKrusher »

Anyone know these boats, Rhodes design built in Denmark in 1961? I am considering one. I like the lines and I don't mind the narrow beam.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Re: Chesapeake 32

Post by CharlieJ »

I've been sailing for several years on one's little sister- A 1961 Rhodes Meridian 25. An absolutely delightful vessel at sea. Just returned from a 2 1/2 year cruise covering around 7000 miles. I'd swap up to a Ches 32 in a heartbeat. Looks just like the Meridian, but 7 feet longer. I can steer with the rail down, with finger-tip helm control.

Watched one sailing while I was anchored in Willoughby Bay, Norfolk-Beautiful!!

I'd say- go for it- and by the way- the narrow beam is part of what makes it such a great sea boat.
Munster
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Nuala
Boat Type: Tartan 27

Post by Munster »

I grew up sailing on a Chesapeake (hull # 45) that belonged to my parents, we went Transatlantic with it in 1978. Bulletproof hull, they are built like a tank and will take a beating. Survived being rolled and demasted about 200 miles off the coast of Portugal several years later, they are incredibly tough boats and can handle just about any kind of weather that gets thrown at them. My parents sold that boat in the Med in 1983, I came across the current owner a couple of years ago in Denmark just after he had finished a total restoration. Truly Classic Plastic. Feel free to e-mail me at jsweeneytc@yahoo.com if you have any questions.

Here is a pic of my Dad's Chesapeake 32, taken around 1965 or so.

Jim Sweeney
Tartan 27 #487 "Nuala"
Traverse City, MI
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by The Froon »

Very similar to the Pearson Vanguard, take a visit on the following web page:

http://pearsonvanguard.homestead.com/files/index2.htm

Brian