Vertue

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Vertue

Post by Triton106 »

[Yeah, thanks everyone. Isn't she pretty?]

As far as classic boats go Vertue has always been one of my favorites. Recently I was fortunate enough to run into two such legendary boats in the SF Bay area, one wooden (forgot the name) and one fiberglass (Chance). I did not have my camera with me when I saw and spoke with the owner of the wooden Vertue at a local boat yard. He was very nice and gave me a tour of the inside. He said the boat is all teak and does not have a drop of leak from the plants. The interior was all business and definitely has a KISS feel to it.

Yesterday, after the Plastic Classic Regatta I ran into Chance at the South Beach Harbour. Unfortunately the owner was not on the boat but I had my camera with me. So I took a few pictures for my own file. I thought I will share them with you.

Last edited by Triton106 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Re: Vertue

Post by Paulus »

The command is corrupt - should identify it is a pic, like a .jpg or .bmp closing... yours ends with _z
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

Paulus wrote:The command is corrupt - should identify it is a pic, like a .jpg or .bmp closing... yours ends with _z
Yup, I suspect so....

Your path; http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6149/594 ... 64663391_z

I suspect the location breaks into two links... you will have to copy the entire path to place between the [img tags.
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

And please do, as I would sure like to see the fiberglass Vertue!
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

Thanks everyone, picture links finally work. The problem is that the path is missing .jpg file extension.

BTW, Rachel, I am only guessing it is filberglass by the look of its hull. I did not meet the owner. Hope to one day run into him/her.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Wow, what a gorgeous vessel. I'd love to know more about her if you should end up meeting her owner/owners.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Bet she's wood. Wood transom. Well- and freshly-maintained wood boats' hulls often look better and fairer than 'glass hulls.
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

I recently saw a very large sailboat in the boatyard and was surprised to see a wood transom. As I got up closer to it, I started questioning whether it was, in fact, wood. Upon getting right up close to it, I could see that it was, in fact, fiberglass, very well-painted to look like wood. It was extremely convincing until you got right up to it and looked right at it. A tromp l'oeil transom!
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
inprin
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: əkwâr`ēəs
Boat Type: Taipan 28

Post by inprin »

Does anyone have any experience with the main-sheet / traveler arrangement seen in these pictures. I have something very similar on the boat I am restoring now. I have removed it and have been looking at new possible arrangements for the main/traveler. The load forces applied to the bar 6-8 inches above the deck mount would seem excessive, but maybe not. A poor mans traveler can be rigged using this bar with a couple of small blocks and the height of the bar does help clear the cockpit coamings. Any recommendations?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I haven't used one that's actually adjustable like that, but I think of the style that looks somewhat similar -- but where the mainsheet block just runs freely on it -- as a "horse" (in case that helps you to find discussion/examples of them). I'm not sure how the forces would compare, exactly.
inprin
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: əkwâr`ēəs
Boat Type: Taipan 28

Post by inprin »

Thanks; knowing the name of it will sure help the research.
Horse : an elevated rod, fixed at both ends and parallel with the deck of a sailing vessel to which the sheets can be led, lateral movement of the sheet being made possible by means of a traveller which can slide from side to side of a horse according to the trim of a sail. […] a horse used to be fitted for use with headsails […] the mainsail sheet is almost invariably led to a small horse fitted on the counter of the vessel.
(Source : Oxford A-Z of Sailing Terms)