Out of her element

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Out of her element

Post by Skipper599 »

... I saw this classic looking vessel in a storage yard on the outskirts of Tombstone AZ ... she surely looked sad and somwhat neglected. Name on the transom "Donnybrook" Seattle. Anyone know anything about her? .....
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: Out of her element

Post by Duncan »

Rhodes Meridian, or maybe more likely a Cheoy Lee Newell Cadet?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Could you tell if it was fiberglass or wood?

I can say for sure it is not a Rhodes Meridian. It looks a bit large for a Newell Cadet, if those are the 26-footers I'm thinking of (?). I would have guessed it at 29' or 30'

It might look a little bit Chinooky, but I'm not sure about that, as I haven't been staring at Chinook photos lately. I guess it's probably not 34 feet long though.

On the other hand, I was thinking it looked like a wooden boat, and then the sky's the limit for design possibilities!
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... As you can see Rachel, the vessel was at right angles to and, on the other side of a fence, thus preventing me from stepping off the approximate OAL. But it is within the 32 - 35 foot range I would say. ... The hull could be pretty much either fg or wood. Again, I was unable to get close enough to make a determination but, I'm guessing it is fg.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
sailaway
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by sailaway »

Wow, just a little goofing around and I found this post! I have a quest for motorcycle ride now! I am thinking of driving down there and getting more pics and posting them for you! Any thing special I should get picture of or info if someone is around? Maybe I should just ...... oh never mind!
eric
TritonSean
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Jenny Marie, #308
Boat Type: 1963 Pearson Triton

Post by TritonSean »

looks like glass to me.... lovely hull shape
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

sailaway wrote:Wow, just a little goofing around and I found this post! I have a quest for motorcycle ride now! I am thinking of driving down there and getting more pics and posting them for you! Any thing special I should get picture of or info if someone is around? Maybe I should just ...... oh never mind!
eric

As you can see Sailaway, I posted that pic just a year ago. If you take a trip over to Tombstone and can take more pics, then that's what we love to see on this forum - - - lots of pictures.

As for getting information on the vessel, one would think you would need to locate the owner. Maybe that is not too difficult in a town the size of Tombstone. Of couse, it's always possible it is no longer in the storage yard. - - - incidentally, the storage yard is almost the last business on the right-hand side heading out of town toward Bisbee.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'