Looking at a Bombay Explorer 44

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
TQA
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: No Name Yet
Boat Type: No Boat Yet

Looking at a Bombay Explorer 44

Post by TQA »

I am looking at a Bombay Explorer 44 with a center board. I can find very little information about this boat. I know they were built in Southern Florida between 1975 and 1979 and recent sales show some changing hands for as little a 25k others in CA before the slump at over 100k.
bombay 44.jpg
bombay 44.jpg (5.75 KiB) Viewed 2098 times
Does anyone here have one or know about them and can give me some advice on what to expect. My primary concerns are the hull and deck integrity as there are lots of deck gel coat cracks and the hull was peeled a few years ago and is rippled in some places. It might be just a that the epoxy was applied and not faired. I will be getting a survey.

I just like the way this boat looks, got to be a plastic classsic and she should sail better that some of the inflated bubble boats around.

Anyone on this forum sailed on one of these or know a bit about it and could pass on the info.
Stubrow
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Voidoid V
Boat Type: Judel Vrolijk 33

Re: Looking at a Bombay Explorer 44

Post by Stubrow »

I believe the company, New Bombay Trading, (and the factory) was taken over by Island Packet, which is still in business as far as I know. Maybe someone there might know something more. The designer of this particular model is Maurice DeClercq, best known for Flying Buffalo, a successful racer on the Great Lakes during the 1960's.
Not a lot to go on, but could be a start.

rb
Randy Browning
Norwalk, CT USA
http://sailboatdata.com
TQA
Boat Name: No Name Yet
Boat Type: No Boat Yet

Post by TQA »

Well I got cold feet over the deck, looked at other boats but kept thinking just how good this looked on the water so I changed my mind, negotiated a reduction and now own a Bombay 44.

Blog http://sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com/
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Great looking boat! PLUS you get to start out in USVI. Sounds like a win to me. Congratulations!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
tomwatt
Boat Name: Traditions
Boat Type: Sailstar (Bristol) Corsair 24

Post by tomwatt »

WooHoo, congratulations! You've got a lot more courage than I do... I went small (but then I don't know how to sail yet, either).

Great looking boat.
Formerly owned Sailstar (Pre-Bristol) Corsair 24
Still own Old Town Millenium 160 kayak.