What is this?

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
EKE
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Robin Lee
Boat Type: Yankee Dolphin #118

What is this?

Post by EKE »

This mystery boat is berthed a couple dock down from mine, and every time I go by I admire and puzzle over it.

My first thought was that it was some kind of Pearson/Alberg, but I can't match it to any known hull, and the fact is that the shear line is distinctly un-Alberg-like: very swoopy. It's about 26 feet or so, big cockpit, teak coamings, outboard well. The portlights appear to be not original.

Any ideas, folks?

Erik Evens
Robin Lee - Yankee Dolphin #118
Los Angeles, CA
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: What is this?

Post by Tim »

Looks like an Alberg 22.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Andrew
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Adagio
Boat Type: Sailmaster 22

Post by Andrew »

If you think it is 26 feet, any chance it is an O'Day Outlaw? It's a Rhodes design from the '60's and looks like it has very similar lines. A bunch more pictures at http://www.sailthetempest.com/Outlaw%20photos.htm . I've always thought it's a pretty sweet looking boat, but never seen one in person.

EKE
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Robin Lee
Boat Type: Yankee Dolphin #118

Post by EKE »

Andrew wrote:If you think it is 26 feet, any chance it is an O'Day Outlaw? It's a Rhodes design from the '60's and looks like it has very similar lines. A bunch more pictures at http://www.sailthetempest.com/Outlaw%20photos.htm . I've always thought it's a pretty sweet looking boat, but never seen one in person.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I'm pretty sure that's the boat. The details of the cockpit coamings, the after-deck and hatch to the motor well, and the radius of the top corners of the cabintop are distinctive. Now I've seen an Outlaw!

Thanks guys.

Just down the dock from this boat, under a full deck cover, I discovered another hidden plastic classic treasure: a quite lovely CD Typhoon Senior.
Erik Evens
Robin Lee - Yankee Dolphin #118
Los Angeles, CA