BLUENOSE

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

BLUENOSE

Post by Sailordave »

Ooooooohhhhhh My God.

I was at a marina over the weekend getting ready to crew for a buddies raceboat and I saw this GORGEOUS daysailor on a trailer. Got to talking w/ the guy from the shop and found out it was a Blue Nose design supposedly based on the famous schooner and from Nova Scotia. They had restored the boat over the winter for a guy that was picking it up in a few minutes. 24' long, very tiny cuddy cabin, cutaway keel w/ attached rudder. They had done a great job painting it, fixing the dings, renewing the wood, etc. Looked like a lot of fun.

But I haven't seen any for sale anywhere other than one old ad from like 2007. Anyone able to tell me more about this class?
rshowarth
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: BLUENOSE

Post by rshowarth »

Sailor Dave-

Where is the picture! :-)
Read

Catalina 27
O'Day Rhodes 19 Custodian
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Is this the boat that you saw?

If so, I can go on endlessly about them as my last boat was a Bluenose Sloop.

Cheers, Bill
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

So Chris,

I little interest there? You sure seemed to have all the pertinent links right at hand.

I hate to see your Yankee get jealous.

I quite enjoyed seeing the old 1946 black and white photos that I hadn't seen before. Very Cool.

Thanks, Bill
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

If that makes my Yankee jealous we're both in trouble - I can't help but notice a pretty boat!

I looked at Bluenoses before buying my Roue R/20 - and you can't sail around here without being very aware of them. In Chester Harbour last summer I counted at least 25 easily - and the sign up sheet at the club showed 31 entries for their one-design series!

Cheers,

Chris
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

Bluenose wrote:Is this the boat that you saw?

Cheers, Bill

YEP! That's the one. The yard removed the teak slats on the aft deck and it had a round porthole in the cuddy I believe, but that's it. They did a GREAT job on it. Sanded the hull bare and in doing so found to hole saw sized patches on the keel. Turns out there were a couple doz. crumpled beer cans in the hollow section of the keel! They removed them and patched it up.
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Sailordave wrote:
Bluenose wrote:Is this the boat that you saw?

Cheers, Bill

YEP! That's the one. The yard removed the teak slats on the aft deck and it had a round porthole in the cuddy I believe, but that's it. They did a GREAT job on it. Sanded the hull bare and in doing so found to hole saw sized patches on the keel. Turns out there were a couple doz. crumpled beer cans in the hollow section of the keel! They removed them and patched it up.
Sailor Dave,

Well I don't know how much info you are really looking for or if you are seriously looking or just enamored. But I will share a few thoughts. First off, here is a link to an old Sailnet forum thread that I started to get info and advice about the Bluenose Sloop before I launched mine.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/buying-bo ... nyone.html

I was specifically looking for a response from Jeff_H and he jumped in with both feet. Much of what he says about the Bluenose, and many other open raceboat of similar design is very true. But within that context, I think it is a great little boat.

The Bluenose I had was my first real boat and my reintroduction to sailing after a 20 year sabbatical. I daysailed her without an engine in the San Juan Islands for four years and loved every minute of it. Even knowing that Bolero was on the way, it was hard to sell her.

Okay, specifics. With a displacement of 2050 lbs and 900 lbs of ballast they are quite stiff for their size and carry a large sail plan. The working sail area is around 225 sq ft and with a genoa 250 sq ft. This results in a healthy sail area to displacement ratio of 22 and 26. They sail very well in light winds and with a draft of a little more than 3 1/2 ft they can sail in thin water.

I always felt that the Bluenose was an overgrown dinghy. They turn on a dime and are small enough to fend off a mistake, well a small mistake anyway.

The down side is also that they are an overgrown dinghy. Their era means that 24 ft on deck only gives you 16 ft on the waterline. She would hobby horse in chop and they have a pretty flat section forward of the keel that pounded. And even though they are stiff for their size mine was easily overpowered in the dense, gusty winds during fall sailing.

They have a minuscule cuddy cabin and a huge cockpit with inadequate drains so they are mostly daysailors or racers. That said, the friend who bought mine has already spent several weekends camping aboard. So anything is possible.

Above all else, the Bluenose Sloop is a sailors sailboat. I also think they are stunning boats but the sailing is far more beautiful than than her looks.

That concludes my highly predujiced view of the Bluenose Sloop. Fell free to ask if you have any questions.

Cheers, Bill

Edit: In case my marketing wasn't enticing enough, here is the Bluenose Sloop brochure from McVay.

Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

Bluenose wrote: Well I don't know how much info you are really looking for or if you are seriously looking or just enamored. But I will share a few thoughts. First off, here is a link to an old Sailnet forum thread that I started to get info and advice about the Bluenose Sloop before I launched mine.

Well, I'm not looking to get one (at least not right now!) But I LOVE the hull shape and have always had a thing for classic looking boats. I could tell right away this was one SEXY boat and would be a lot of fun even w/ the short comings that boats like this have. And I wasn't surprised at Jeff's comments from Sailnet. Sometimes I think he is a litle overcritical but generally he has some good info.

I just hadn't seen one of these (at least not to my knowledge) and wanted to find out more. Should have gottent the guys name that was picking the boat up; I know he lives relatively near me.