Another question....Alberg 30

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

Another question....Alberg 30

Post by Tom Javor »

Anyone have any thoughts or web addresses to share on the Alberg 30?

Thanks
TJ
Adam
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Tinker
Boat Type: Marshall 22

Post by Adam »

Your search has paralleled mine almost exactly from two years ago...Bristol 29's, Tridents, Allieds, Alberg 30, Vineyard Vixen....I recall an old saying about great minds...:-)

Before I purchased Winsome, I had money down on a Bristol 29, and later a Allied 33, and a Cheoy Lee Bermuda - a Marshall 22 was on the short list (going a bit different route...). None, met my standard after survey (well the 22 did, but it was in the end too small).

There is a very good Alberg 30 owners site - which usually has a pretty good For Sale section...http://www.alberg30.org/
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Tom,

I own an Alberg 30, and I looked at several when shopping. If you have specific questions, I could address them.

In general I'd say it's a nice design, and well-proportioned. It's similar to a Triton, but a scoch bigger all around and with (always) a masthead rig. They were built to a price (for example, iron ballast), so they're nothing super-fancy, but they are sturdy and "well built" within the context of their genre.

There is a major generational split at around hull # 400 (out of close to 800); the first generation boats have "stick built" furniture and bulkheads tabbed to the hull, along with masonite cored decks. Also teak toerails and locker/hatch lids.

The second generation has a liner, balsa cored decks, and (mostly) fiberglass locker/hatch lids. There is a molded in fiberglass toerail with a wooden cap.

On the first generation boats, deck core is not typically an issue, and I think that's for two reasons: One is that the core stops inboard of the stanchion bases, and two, I surmise, is because the masonite, with its holes, provides lots of epoxy "stops" against moisture intrusion. The deck construction on these is actually glass-masonite-glass-masonite-glass in a sandwich, as I understand it.

Potential trouble spots are the laminated mast carrying beam (on first gen models), issues with ballast sealing, and forward lower shroud bolts that were threaded 1/4" bolts (no shoulder) that should be replaced with 5/16" shouldered fasteners. Nothing "irreparable" that I know of.

I could go into more depth about "little things," rudder variations, etc., but this probably gives you the idea.

Feel free to ask me here, or via PM, if you have more questions that I could help answer.

Rachel
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by cmartin »

What she said :)

Good site with lots of info, http://www.alberg30.org .
David

Post by David »

Here's an interesting review of the A30:

http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/sail/alberg30.asp
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Sounds like a reasonable review.
Jack Hornor wrote:The 22 year production run of more than 750 boats is, to the best of my knowledge, unprecedented in the marine industry.
Guess he never heard of the Vega though ;) Or the Triton, Tartan 27, etc.

I jest, but now that I type that, I wonder if there is something special about the Alberg 30 run that I'm not thinking of? Otherwise, it seems like a darned good run, but maybe not "unprecedented"...?

Edited to say: Wait, 22 years? Were they making Alberg 30s in 1986? I didn't think so, but if they were, maybe that's what it is?

Not that it really matters either way; it just caught my attention.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Nothing on the Internet is true or in the least bit accurate.

Heresay and lies.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog