Tanzer 27/Paceship 26 in CT

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Tanzer 27/Paceship 26 in CT

Post by Tim »

If interested, contact the phone number seen in the photos (in one of the adjacent threads here for the other CT boats).

Photos provided by Figment.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I could SWEAR I saw "Tanzer 27" logos on this boat, but now that I look at these photos, you're absolutely right Tim. No way is that a Tanzer.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Apparently, Tanzer sold a "rebadged" version of the Paceship 26 as the Tanzer 27. I found that out after a bit of research. I don't know if they bought the molds from AMF (builder of the Paceship 26), or what, but it does appear that Tanzer sold a version of the boat as a "Tanzer 27".

It was news to me, but I had to check, since this boat looked nothing like a Tanzer. But indeed, it must be (though it's still really a Paceship 26).

Now, no one can call the Paceship 26 attractive, but this "Tanzer 27" sure is less ugly than most Tanzers!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rogue Sailor

Post by Rogue Sailor »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've owned a Tanzer 26 for 11 years now. I've made significant upgrades just about every year. I love this boat! Its a great performer, ...and its beautiful!

Tim, your website was a great inspiration to me. I got up the nerve to paint my topsides dark blue about 4 years ago as a result of your example. Thanks! Came out well beyond my expectations. Now even more beautiful!
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Tim wrote:Apparently, Tanzer sold a "rebadged" version of the Paceship 26 as the Tanzer 27. I found that out after a bit of research. I don't know if they bought the molds from AMF (builder of the Paceship 26), or what, but it does appear that Tanzer sold a version of the boat as a "Tanzer 27".
Yes, quoting www.paceship.org:
Tanzer Industries bought the mold and rights to at least the PY26 design in 1981 and produced the boat as the Tanzer 27 (with a deck stepped versus the original keel stepped mast along with a few other minor changes one of which extended the boats length by 3 inches making it a 27 footer) until they went out of business a few years later.
And an owner:
Differences are mainly cosmetic: Tanzer 27 has double lifelines, teak and holly sole, teak cabinets instead of shelves in cabin, L shaped galley with shortened settee opposite dinette. This yields more cabinet space in head area, but loses berth. The Tanzer also has a deck stepped mast with a solid teak compression post in the cabin.
But some Paceships are definitely prettier than others...
Cape Dory 10 & 27
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Post by MQMurphy »

Hi, Duncan - welcome!
I defintely agree with you, some are prettier than others. ;o)
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24
MQMurphy
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Ikey Boy
Boat Type: Paceship Westwind 24

Exhibit "A"

Post by MQMurphy »

Since we're on the subject of Paceships, I just posted a couple of favorite Westwind photos in the Boat Photos thread. Have a peek.
- Mike Murphy
S/V Ikey Boy
1968 Westwind 24