Nice Looking Alberg 30 for Sale

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Nice Looking Alberg 30 for Sale

Post by Tim »

Britton, are you out there?

This may be too rich for your blood, but it actually looks as if it could almost be worth the asking price. Includes a solid 3-axle trailer.

Restored Alberg 30 in Holland, MI

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I would say you are right about the price. It looks like someone has put a lot of time into her. Unfortunately, it is also out of my price range.

I am hoping that after a few years of ownership my next boat will look like that but I am forced to start with something a little plainer. I like the idea of investing my blood, sweat and tears into something I can be proud of (and would entail bragging rights) rather than forking out the cash for someone else's labor. It is the process as much as the final result I am after. I think most people on this board would agree. On a side note, is there such a thing as a final result?

It seems strange to me that after investing so much into the boat, the old style clunky icebox was left in there. That would be one of the first things to go if I was to restore/rebuild an interior.

Thanks for looking out for me.

-Britton

BTW - I looked at a newer A30 ('79) this weekend- overpriced but I am getting used to that- I don't think I care much for the interior liner. I might have tried to negotiate but that liner would bother me in the long run. It was a strange visit. The seller spent 45 minutes showing me how to service the engine, turn this/ twist that/ pump this, and two minutes pointing out the sail bags - purchased used fourteen years ago. Overall not a bad boat just not for me. I am going to keep looking for an older A30 or Triton I think.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:I like the idea of investing my blood, sweat and tears into something I can be proud of (and would entail bragging rights) rather than forking out the cash for someone else's labor.
Obviously, I agree with you! But I figured it wouldn't hurt to pass along this listing, nonetheless. Your comments also reinforce the fact that someone else's improvements, however nice and however value-packed, rarely suit you, the buyer, perfectly. Hence the reason that I, and others, enjoy starting from scratch.

And no, there is no "final" result! It never ends. But it's all part of the fun.

At least now you know not to bother looking at anymore cheesily-linered Alberg 30s. So your visit this past weekend had some value to it. Only by looking can one truly determine what it most important to them.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating