S&S Designs

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

S&S Designs

Post by Tim »

Just about any boat designed by Sparkman & Stephens does the trick for me, looks-wise--of course I'm most partial to the older, more classic CCA-type designs, but even as the designs have become more modern over the years, nearly all boats from that office have a certain aura about them that just looks "right". (I'm sure there are exceptions.)

Good looks are good looks, regardless of the design type, shape, or style. Class is class, and it's always obvious.

Nathan mentioned the Swan 40 (early 70's vintage) in another post. In addition, I've always liked the Swan 38, of 70's vintage. Angular, IOR-type tumblehomed-hull design with a narrow, chopped transom, pointy bow, and sharp overhangs, with the classic Swan wedge cabin and tall, high-aspect rig. It looks like an angry sliver, purposeful and ready to go, but with a certain style as well. Yes, it's an S&S design.

This thread really got me going this morning! So many boats, so little time (and money).

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Of course I have a sweet spot in my heart for S&S designs too. I got my start sailing on a custom S&S boat, Palawan III, built for Tom Watson, Jr. of IBM. (www.sailpalawan.com).

Olin wrote of Palawan III "perhaps the easiest steering boat I ever drew"

And he's not kidding either. In moderate conditions, well trimmed, you can walk away from the helm for 30 minutes or more...