Bristol or Swan 40

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Bristol or Swan 40

Post by dasein668 »

I've always thought a Bristol 40 might be a good realistic compromise. The lines aren't as nice as some, but its still attractive to my eye, seems to have fair accomodations for the style boat, and while not cheap, aren't outrageously priced either.

Then there is the Swan 40... such a fine stern... sigh. I have a friend with two of them here in Falmouth (well, one and a half, actually). Very pretty.
George ( Triton #236 )

Bristol

Post by George ( Triton #236 ) »

Hi,

I have a friend working on a Bristol 40 out at the club. They are pretty boats, especially if the brightwork is in good shape. I've always thought they were a little light for a really tough passagemaker though. For example, a Bristol 40 weighs the same as a Southern Cross 35.

If you like the Bristol 40 a really cheap alternative is one of the old Pearson 35's. A used one can be picked up for 15 - 30 K and then rigged for offshore work.

George
#236 "Ca Ira"
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Interesting. I've never actually been aboard one. Just seen from afar, and pictures.

Of course, I'm not in the market for a new boat anytime soon anyway, so who knows what we'll end up with when time comes to move aboard...

Tim mentioned the Allied Seabreeze in another post, which is also an interesting boat. We saw one at the Triton Rendezvous in Castine last summer that had been largely refit. Quite nice.

So many boats, so little money... er... time...