With a little elbowgrease...

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

With a little elbowgrease...

Post by Figment »

If I'm bored this weekend I may go have a gander at this baby just for laughs.

http://cgi.netscape.ebay.com/ebaymotors ... gory=26433

$26 at the moment.... I could use another spare A4...

bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The bid is up to 51 dollars but the auction is still open for another five days. There is probably a couple hundred dollars (optimistic guess) worth of spare parts if one wanted to take the trouble and part it out. ;-)

Is it my eyes or has the rear jackstand deformed the hull. I have only seen that in wooden boats up til now.

Britton
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

She's a "ship," huh? Not sure that's the term I would have chosen!

Yeah, it does look like the hull is deformed. Unless its' just a cooincidentally mispainted boot...

I'm a big fan of the lichen or whatever is growing on her, too.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I love these Ebay listings where they tell you nothing about the boat whatsoever, not even what kind it is. I find it kind of funny how the seller's listing says "The owner is no longer interested in the sea and would like his ship to go to someone with an interest in restoring this beauty to her original glory."

Was there really any original glory here? And those original sails (from 1958???) are surely something of beauty to behold.

I bet the bidding will end up going quite a bit higher by the end, though I can't imagine why anyone would pay much more for it. I suppose the jackstands are worth it...but only if you could pull them out and leave the boat behind. Seems easier to go buy jackstands!

The hull is definitely deformed--very common when boats are neglected and left for years, as the blocking settles into the ground, causing the stands to push upwards into the hull. The stands also frequently settle into the ground, as these have, which is why one must put pads beneath them.

Redeeming value? None. This one has nothing going for it.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Hull deformation

Post by Shark »

Opinions please.

During the search for my present boat I came across several boats of the same class as mine, the hulls of which were deflected or deformed or "oil canned" by poorly placed and/or adjusted supports. This occured on flat sections of the bottom where there is little internal support. I dismissed these boats because of this and they usually had other problems too. One of these boats was however purchased by another person and is being sailed and raced quite successfully.

My question has to do with the "seriousness" of this problem. Is some deformation OK? Will it pop back? At what point does this become a major problem or consideration in the decision to buy a particular boat? I know "it all depends" but at what point is it "game over" for such a boat?

Lyman
Tim

Post by Tim »

In many (most) cases, this deformation will disappear on its own if the stands are moved and adjusted. In cases where this happens over a single winter, because of an improperly placed stand, usually there is no significant long-term damage. However, any boat with this issue has to be closely examined to determine the special circumstances of the case. The longer it sits, the more it tends to push into the hull, so if the blocking situation isn't corrected soon the problem can get more serious.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

$102.50 and still 4 more days to bid. I bet I could find hundreds of free boats in similar condition by scouring boatyards. I could make millions!

Britton
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Hey, I found a free Islander 32 in the paper today...
Tony
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

...vrrriippp! vripp-p-p-p. Vrrrrinnnnngggg-dinggg-dingggg-dinggg! Vrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhh!

(this is the sound of money being made)

Dave
Tim

Post by Tim »

Dave, 397 wrote:...vrrriippp! vripp-p-p-p. Vrrrrinnnnngggg-dinggg-dingggg-dinggg! Vrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhh!
I assume that's the intro to Pink Floyd's "Money" you're attempting to convey there...OK, admittedly translating that particular sound to writing is tough, but this looks more like you experienced a bad earthquake while typing. :<)
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

That would actually be the Homelite firing up...LOL!

Dave