Mystery Hull???

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Mystery Hull???

Post by Tim »

Dave (Triton #397) has come across this hull in his boatyard out in Washington, and for a while now we've been trying to figure out what it is. All inquiries have come up blank, or incorrect.

Dimensions (approx)
LOA: 20'-7"
Beam: 6'
Draft: 3'-6"

Construction:
Solid fiberglass. Keel reported to be integrally molded. Unbalanced spade rudder (not installed, but present on the cradle). Hull reportedly shows signs of a previously-installed full skeg forward of the spade rudder location, as well as undrilled molded areas at the top of the trailing edge of the keel that appears to be a place through which a keel-hung rudderpost might pass. Outward hull flange, boltholes through hull where chainplates might have once been installed. Deck and all interior structure removed and not in evidence. The boat has an outboard cutout in the counter, and several through hull fittings.

On the off chance that this design might ring a bell with anyone here, well...here it is.

Click here for more photos of the hull.

Feel free to shoot out ideas. We know pretty much what it's not, but don't mind even incorrect stabs at it.

Dave says the hull is probably destined for the dumpster soon.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David

Mystery hull

Post by David »

Looks a little like a McVay 19 that someone was converting to a spade or skeg hung rudder from the original keel hung rudder.

David
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Another very close guess, I think, and thisone may be getting warmer...but the dimensions of the boat are too large to be the boat you mention...also, the spade rudden appears t be a factory-made part and there is no evidence of the keel having been fitted or hull drilled for the keel-hung rudder fitments. A puzzler, huh?

Dave
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

It looks similar to the Columbia 5.5 in the brokerage yard at the Sailing Life, where we got our boat in Oregon. Except the Columbia's outboard cutout is just aft of the rudder.
Tony
Tony
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: S/V Bonnie Blue
Boat Type: Catalina 22

Post by Tony »

Maybe related?

Tony
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

There were both a Columbia 20 (possibly Bill Tripp) , and a Columbia 21 (Crealock, I think) that both fit into the possiblity list, but I have found no illustrations of the underbodies at all---especially the C20, which is a boat from 1965 or so and may well be "it". Anybody have a lines drawing?
Thanks,
Dave

(the glow plugs are warming in the loader, just about)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Well, that Columbia 5.5 definitely isn't "the one" (i.e. the same as the Mystery Hull), but I sure like it! Very pretty, Etchells-like but with a full keel. Nice! Can I have it? :<)

So many boats, too little time, not enough room. ::Sigh::
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

I've been mulling this one over and over, but I'm coming up totally empty.

The external chainplates and the upturn of the sheer at the bow are completely throwing me for a loop!