Triton cutter

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Triton cutter

Post by Figment »

Tony Voulavides on the Yahoo Triton list offered copies of Alberg's drawings. Who's going to say no to that?

I was expecting a few sheets of lines and accommodations, hoping maybe one of them would be worth a spot on the wall. I was not expecting a second profile/sailplan drawing of a cutter rig! For those who haven't seen this drawing (I couldn't find a digitized version to link)... you're missing out. The elongation of the sheer line (and therefore, the overhang) provided by the bowsprit is just beautiful. I'll be the first to acknowlege that a beautiful drawing doesn't always translate to a beautiful reality, but this one has me dreaming!

OK, so it's not a TRUE cutter. It doesn't look like there's enough separation between the stock jibstay and the cutter?s headstay to fly both sails at once upwind, unless the foresail is cut so high that the sheet is led to the transom. Still, this has the look of a worthwhile endeavor for those who sail in predominantly-light-wind areas, and I would imagine that it?s an excellent weather-helm remedy.
The NTA MIR shows that the owner of #17 has done something similar, the "scutter"....
It looks like the bowsprit in this application is not as long as the one in Alberg's drawing, nor does it appear to follow the sheerline, so the visual ?lengthening? is not as pronounced. Still, the owner writes that weather helm is eliminated.

I know that others have use the spinnaker pole as a makeshift ?sprit to fly a big light-air genoa, but this cutter or scutter solution seems so much more elegant. I must be missing something. What?s the drawback of a cutter rig? PITA to tack?

(you KNOW winter's coming when I start yapping about stuff like this!)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I also have those drawings. I've been intrigued by the "scutter" rig (which I think is much more attractive a term than the oft-heard "slutter" rig describing the same sort of setup) ever since I first saw Soubrette (#17) on the NTA site a couple years ago. I have filed this design away in the back of my mind as a future improvement.

Soubrette

The problem is, in order for me, with my silly need for "rightness" and proper aesthetics, to make this shift I would have to incorporate the bow pulpit, anchor platforms, and such into the new sprit, in the way that most modern boats that feature bow platforms do. So this improvement, if I ever make it, will require a new bow pulpit and anchor platform. The owner of Soubrette did this, but I think the pulpit/sprit design could be more useful and better looking. It's not prohibitive to me--it just means that it will be a few years before I seriously consider the change. But I think the overall concept is worthy, as well as versatile. If you made the forwardmost sail a nice lightweight--and huge--sail, it would be a boon to light air and offwind performance, all in a very convenient package. But the sprit is really the key--aesthetically and functionally. And the sprit should emulate the general sheer of the boat, which would be a cinch to accomplish.

Note that the "first" daysailer Triton (spelled their way) features this "scutter" rig as well. Intriguing, to say the least. I would attempt to change to this rig if I were to ever head offshore in the boat, or on longer cruises. It would have the additional "benefit", as it were, of adding rigging to the top of the mast for increased peace of mind, if not ultimate strength.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

What you describe, Tim, is pretty much what 397 (and now 549 as well) are to end up with...with one notable exception, which is that the boat stays a sloop...just moving the tack forward 18" to shift the CE and balance the helm. Also convenient place to put the anchor, too!<G> There is a fair bit of modification inside to accomodate, as well...we should be tearing into that project by year's end (I hope), and I'll keep everyone amused with the results as we go...

Best,
Dave
David

Sprits, for what its worth...

Post by David »

I added a bowsprit to my Bristol 29 about 12 years ago to balance the rig better and reduce weather helm. I love the bowsprit and how it changed the rig and the boat's performance. I called Halsey Herreshoff before doing so and ran the modification by him, who told me I would ruin the boat if I did that. Just the contrary happened...I gained speed, versitility and utility and for me, improved the look of the boat.

David