How 'bout the C&C Redwing?

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
D. Fox

Post by D. Fox »

Those are beautiful boats (to my eye anyway), and very good performers. Anyone here have any experience with them? Don't see them very often.
Shark
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Scoot
Boat Type: Shark 24

Post by Shark »

Yes, I agree it is nice boat. Not too many were built but there are a few around here. Here's one for sale Image

Another early C&C design I like is the Frigate. These are even more rare but here's one currently for sale Image

Two friends of mine own C&C Corvettes, also very nice.

All these designs date from the late 60's and early 70's when CCA designs were popular and before the IOR influence took hold. The following site is a great source of photos etc.

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/index1.htm Just follow the links to Yacht Photos etc. There are links for the Rewing, Corvette and Frigate plus many others.

Coincidently, George Hinterhoeller, the designer and earliest builder of the Shark24, my boat, joined Cutherbertson and Cassian when C&C was initially formed and was instrumental in the production of many of these boats. His biography is also on this site.

Lyman
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

(came across this thread while looking for the Ohlson 38)

My race boat for the last two summers has been a C&C Redwing. It's a great boat. Huge cockpit, workmanlike sailplan, nice accommodations below. A very nice blend of classic lines and modern performance.

She likes to be pushed hard. Likes big foresails. Every time the conditions convince us to rig the #2 or #3, we pay dearly in speed and wind up shifting back to the larger sail on the next leg. We've started sailing her like a Triton.... reef if you must, but leave the big jib up... and had better luck.

The one consistent drawback is the shallow angle of the rudder post. Gotta keep that tiller down low or you lose all mechanical advantage and she just goes where she pleases.