Contessa 26

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Contessa 26

Post by keelbolts »

Anybody here have any experience with a Contessa 26? My first boat was a Danish Folkboat so I'm not completely in the dark about how a Contessa sails, but, overall, how are they? They look like they might be difficult to get down below in as they have no sliding hatch.

Let me say how much I appreciate all the input from you fellow forumites. In my search for Favona's replacement I've joined several other forums in order to learn more about this or that type of boat. You put a question out in those other forums and, most of the time, all you get back is the the sound of crickets chirping. No place - and I mean NO place... worldwide - has the daily involvement and collective knowledge that this site has. All of you, especially you, Tim, ought to be proud to be part you play in this.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

There's one word to describe the Contessa 26: SMALL.

That's OK, but they are small--tight and cramped inside, small on deck, and that non-sliding hatch looks like a bean-buster to me. I have a feeling I'd cut that out in a pair of seconds if I had to deal with it. Leave the squat thrusts to the atheletes, or whoever it is that does them.

They're proven offshore boats that have a good reputation for sailing ability. If they appeal to you and the smallness isn't a factor, then they could be a good choice. If one wanted a really small, but sound, offshore boat, they'd be a good choice; for more comfortable daysailing, I'm not sure it's the best choice, necessarily. That all depends on how well an individual "fits" on one.

Did I mention they're small? They make Tritons seem positively cavernous.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I've never been on one, but I think that lack of hatch would bug me too. I like to be able to stand in the companionway and pop my head up to have a look around, and the Contessa hatch design would make that impossible. Of course it can always be changed.... (in a pair of seconds, if you're Tim).

In case anyone can't call it immediately to mind, here's a photo that shows the top of the companionway. There is no sliding top section, just a hump in the deck and the usual washboards.

Although I love small boats, I note that even Tania Aebi mentioned that she might circumnavigate again, but not in a boat that cramped. I find that a lack of standing headroom makes me feel a bit claustrophobic for any length of time, even on shortish trips (say, more than a weekend; or on a rainy day).

Folkboat-like boats ARE neat though.

Also, I don't know what you have in mind for the boat; and the above items might not be an issue for you in any case. Here's a link to a couple who are sailing a Contessa 26 around the world, and the guy is something like 6'5" tall!

http://www.freewebs.com/sybika-eng/

Edited to change to non-super-wide photo.
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

My pal, is restoring a free one I found on Craig's List that was practically on her back door step. They are small and somewhat cramped but you can see why they have circumnavigated. It is one rugged little boat. I guess the true test will be if we are still friends after she finishes.

I guess my biggest concern would be the rudder configuration, it simply hangs from a pintal/ gudgeon. I would want to back that up and many have, numerous ideas are well documented.

There are the JJ Taylor Contessa's which were built in Canada and then the Contessas that were built in the UK. Actually, if you search around the web there is quite a bit of info on them.

BTW, not only was it the boat Tania sailed around the world with little experience; it was also the boat BJ Caldwell sailed around the world becoming the youngest globe girdler at the time.

Tough, rugged, TIGHT, forgiving! Great following, much like the Triton.
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

I have thought about installing a sliding hatch in one. As I've said, I had a FB, but that was 15 years ago and I can't feel how small it felt now. I've done a bit of offshore and coastal sailing & I like the idea of being able to do that if I want. In addition, I read in this forum about folks shortening their booms to reduce weather helm. That worries me. Any boat will show some weather helm, but I'm used to a pretty light helm. Under 3 reefs and a storm jib, Favona is still a joy to sail ( not counting the pucker factor). I sailed a friend's O'Day 27 once. Holy cow, what a pig! Nothing I did would reduce the weather helm to a satisfactory level. I suspect that poor balance is why so many modern boats have wheel steering.

I want a full keel boat that will allow me to go to windward, do, at least, some coastal jumps ( 2 or 3 days offshore), and not cause me to develope muscle cramps trying to steer her. Would a Triton or a Rhodes Ranger do those things? Any other suggestions?
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Keelbolts wrote: Any other suggestions?
Well, I just have to suggest you take an Albin Vega for a sail.
There is a series of articles about one which circumnavigated from Victoria BC Canada.
The articles are in Newsletters 14 to 19, and are by Tony Skidmore, the Skipper.

Here is an bit from one of them:
"Some boats do not take kindly to ocean voyaging and are dragged kicking and screaming around the world; every passage a nightmare of gear failures and defective systems. In port they sulk and drag their anchors. Not so the Vega! "Lorna Doone" entered fully into the spirit of the voyage and seemed to enjoy it every bit as much as I did. The additional weight didn't seem to phase her unduly and although certainly never aggressively sailed she managed to run 160 nautical miles noon/noon on two consecutive days in the Indian Ocean south of Cocos and more recently made 112 miles in 24 hours close hauled to the Northeast Trades coming up from Hawaii to British Columbia.
In my opinion, the Vega is a very undemanding and forgiving boat for single-handed voyaging and has an impressive ability to keep moving under adverse conditions."
Tony Skidmore, VAGB Newsletter #19
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

OK Peter,
Tell me about your Albin Vega.

Jeff
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Keelbolts wrote:OK Peter,
Tell me about your Albin Vega.
Well, it's sort of the Volvo Station Wagon of sailboats. What more can I say. You'll have to see for yourself, as my opinion is very biased :-)

Anyway, good luck with your search. I think hunting for a 'new' boat is almost more fun than owning one!
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I can't add much but I know I have read about that unusual hatch arrangement that you quickly get used to it and it actually isn't a real problem. I can't back that up with real experience though.

I think the rudder arrangement has proven quite strong actually. The aft hung rudder also makes repairs in the middle of the ocean a bit easier. If a Triton rudder (or something along those lines) breaks underway you simply can't get at it to fix it. The contessa's rudder arrangement gives you a few meager options.

Contessa's were on my buy list for a while but the lack of headroom was what ended the love affair for me. They are beautiful.

If I were seriously looking at a Contessa again I would have to look at the Vega too. Tritons, Alberg 30's and the like are really quite similar in hull shape and have standing headroom( for me).

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Rachel wrote:I've never been on one, but I think that lack of hatch would bug me too. I like to be able to stand in the companionway and pop my head up to have a look around, and the Contessa hatch design would make that impossible. Of course it can always be changed...
I like standing in the companionway, too. The "hood" or "hump" isn't a mistake, though, it's an important safety feature to reduce the chance of getting downflooded. I think people who choose Contessas are comfortable with what they give up in order to get great seaworthiness.

There are some neat improvements (travellers, galleys, and so on) people have done. On the other hand, they don't compromise the character or seaworthiness of the boat, which I think putting in a sliding hatch would do.

The later versions had the hood extended, which could make a difference for some people. I think they generally have some refinements (lead ballast, midships hatch) that might make the boats from 1984 onwards slightly more desirable.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The "right" compromises always come down to exactly how one plans to use the boat. Things that are optimized for offshore work rarely make the best sense for a boat that will always be within reach of safe harbor. Likewise, boats that are meant for coastal sailing rarely are optimized for ocean crossings.

Somewhere, for each individual, there's the proper balance that works. It varies in each case.

I wouldn't choose a boat for some mythical offshore work that I will never do; likewise, I wouldn't go offshore in a boat that wasn't properly improved to be as ready as possible.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
A30_John

Post by A30_John »

The "hood" or "hump" isn't a mistake, though, it's an important safety feature to reduce the chance of getting downflooded. I think people who choose Contessas are comfortable with what they give up in order to get great seaworthiness.
I wouldn't choose a boat for some mythical offshore work that I will never do; likewise, I wouldn't go offshore in a boat that wasn't properly improved to be as ready as possible.
Better words were never spoken...

The question is, what will you use the boat for? Offshore, the Contessa companiionway could be your best friend. On a coastal cruise, an annoyance.

I once had a Contessa under contract. Sadly, and happily, the deal fell through. Sadly, because it was a a nice boat that seemed to fit my sailing program. Happily, because it was too small for my needs.

I'm 5'8" and I could stand up under the "hump" of the companionway. Offshore that would be fine since I wouldn't be standing down below anyway. For coastal cruising, it would have got old very fast. Boats are truly a compromise...
John
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Ever see pictures of Dave Martin's Direction? Basically that's what he did to his companionway on that Cal 25- made a hump and did away with the slide. Actually he built it out so it acted like a dodger- looked difficult to go in and out, but must have worked- the boat went round the world.

But- what Tim says is completely true- There are many many people who own fully blue water boats who will NEVER sail out of sight of land- and I think they are losing out on some really great sailing, if they'd just go to a boat that was more suitable for bay and inshore work and quit fooling themselves. An offshore boat doesn't belong in a bay.