Damaged Invicta in CT

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
John in CT

Damaged Invicta in CT

Post by John in CT »

Last Tuesday heavy winds and rain in our area wrought havoc in Bridgeport's Black Rock Harbor. An Invicta broke free of her mooring and essentially crossed the outer harbor's large mooring field from West to East, coming ashore on the rip-rap which defines the Eastern shoreline. She's in Captain's Cove marina now, but SeaTow reportedly nicked the owner $11K to refloat her!!!

The damage to the hull is extensive, holes 2 to 3 foot around, the keel ground down and centerboard missing. It's really something to see the hull thickness, it may even surpase that of Tim's boat. I'll try to get some photos soon.

It's too early to know if this boat will become available in the future.

This boat was't Thor's Hammer (the Sea Scout boat) or Artemis but a third Invicta which has been in the harbor this summer. She's from Massachusett as I recall but her name is not coming to me,

The storm also sent a Pearson Flyer onto the same rocks, she's still there as of last night, the bottom reportedly being ripped out of her.

Sorry to be the bearer of such sad news.

Thanks for the great forum Tim,

John
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If any more information regarding the status or condition of that Invicta becomes available, please take a moment to post it here. Sounds like she could be too far gone, but who knows?

Thanks!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tim

Post by Tim »

Here are a couple pictures of the damaged Invicta in Bridgeport, CT, provided by John, the original poster, though I posted the photos here.

Ouch. This hurts!

Here's a closeup of the damaged area.

No word yet on the fate of this boat. I'm trying to find out more.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Invicta in CT

Post by JetStream »

Has anyone heard what happened to the Invicta? The origanal poster was a guest so we can't send an E-Mail to ask.
Bruce
Tim

Post by Tim »

Actually, I heard back from him that the boat had been moved already to a repair facility nearby. So I guess the owner has a good insurance company!

Nice to hear that she'll be repaired. Or at least so it seems.
Graham Bryan

Pearsons at Captains Cove Marina

Post by Graham Bryan »

Funny, I saw these boats being towed away by Certified Sales (yacht salvage) Rhode Island.
Graham.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I've seen the Pearson Flyer on the Certified Sales website, but not the Invicta. Who knows.
JetStream
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27

Post by JetStream »

The Invicta is at "The Dock" Marina in Stratford, CT. The owner is repairing her. He did not lose the centerboard or any other parts. The centerboard trunk has been redone and he is installing a new engine.
Bruce
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

This one's been nibbling at me.

The Invicta is a gorgeous boat. Of that there is no doubt. In my opinion, it's right up there with the Bermuda/Block Island 40 design (both Bill Tripp, if memory serves).

The damage done to that boat, however, is enough to make my skin crawl! Those repairs are one mighty task.

Good Old Boat classifieds currently list an Invicta II for $35k. I would guess that the hull repairs alone on this CT boat are going to cost that much. A new engine was mentioned, and doubtless a good deal of interior work will be involved as well, one could easily imagine the total repair bill exceeding $70k.

What's a realistic insurance check in this case? $30k? maybe $40k max?

I guess we really do LOVE our boats, eh?

I think I'll triple-up my mooring lines this year.
baydaycapn
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Pearson Invicta

Post by baydaycapn »

Back in '03 and "04 there were posts concerning a Pearson Invicta that went on the rocks during a hurricane. Does anyone know the name on that Invicta and what eventually happened to her?
CAPT. Dick -- S/V "Seabird" Pearson Invicta #15
Seafarer 36C Bahama deckhouse motorsailer
Seafarer Polaris
O'day Tempest
Uniflite 31' "Fishing machine"
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I have a hazy memory of seeing her for sale after the hull repairs were done (or mostly done), but I can't provide any specifics. This would have been two or three years ago. Maybe she was on eBay? (There was another Invicta on eBay in Florida but I'm not thinking of that one.)

I hope someone else remembers more than I do. There might have been a different discussion here when it was for sale?

R.
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

That boat was Gazelle, when we bought Scout, Gazelle was also for sale. She had a lot of damage and was partially repaired. We ended up buying her for parts (the price made sense), we sold the new Atomic, kept the windlass, roller furling and other stuff and gave away the hull to a guy in VA. A year later he sold her. Don't know where she is any more or what condition she is in but I could find out. I do know that the incomplete fiberglass repair that was done in CT turned out to be sub par, or so the VA gentlemen came to find out.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thanks, N,

I must be remembering her advertised for sale at the same time as you were looking at her (i.e. I know it wasn't when you were selling her). I don't remember why, exactly, but I do remember little mental flags going up when I read/saw about the repairs, and thinking "that's probably not the end of that repair job."

It's probably a good thing the Invictas are out of my price range. Cause boy, could I just imagine rowing away from one of those at anchor, and looking back to swoon.

No wait, what am I thinking? Why is that a good thing? LOL

Rachel
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

The Virginia guy did put it up on ebay and later yacht world. That's probably when you saw her.

Never give up Rachel, never give up.
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
baydaycapn
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by baydaycapn »

Thanks for the info. I suspected that She might have been Gazzelle and had been chasing that info. Appears that she was sold again recently in Lake Lanier, Ga. Have not been able to find out if she stayed there or was taken somewhere else. CG Documentation records show her as 1961 but the latest "for sale" ad lists as 1964. Also it appears that her name has been changed to "Prodigialis" and she is not currently documented. The ad shows her interior as that of a 1965 with the stbd upper berth replaced by cabinets. Wonder if that was done as a modification or if I am looking at two different hulls with the name of gazzelle?? Would be nice to have the hull or sail number.

Dick
CAPT. Dick -- S/V "Seabird" Pearson Invicta #15
Seafarer 36C Bahama deckhouse motorsailer
Seafarer Polaris
O'day Tempest
Uniflite 31' "Fishing machine"
BALANCE

Post by BALANCE »

It's the same boat. The guy (Seth) who took the hull renamed her Prodigailas. He had her for maybe 2 years tops. He was in Lake Lanier. Sounds like whoever he sold it to is selling it again?

She was built in 1964 let's see if I can get this right (assuming she has changed hands twice since me). Two owners prior to us did alot of customization and had her for many many years. He's the one who took out the starboard pilot berth. He even had a groovy little pop up, one man table coming off the bulkhead between the galley and the port settee. When we saw her and took possession she was in pretty bad shape. She'd been holed on her port side, but good. All the cabinetry was rebuilt on the port side but not installed. Seth got her with all the uninstalled stuff that needed to be replaced.

Feel free to PM me with any more questions, I'll try to help. Is she, in fact, for sale again?
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
keelbolts

Re: Damaged Invicta in CT

Post by keelbolts »

Several years ago I knew a fellow who owned Burgoo, the Invicta that won the Newport-Bermuda race. As I recall, Leo said that she was different below than the others, but she was very nice. She was all wood w/ a raised panel bulkhead. That was an early inkling that I could be seen on a plastic boat. He married a woman with a larger, newer boat and sold Burgoo. I'd have sold the wife.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?