Columbia 50

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
Tony G
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Columbia 50

Post by Tony G »

While on vacation I stumbled across a stunning beauty hanging on a mooring. Normally I don't fall for boats with flush decks, but there was 'just something about her...' I asked some of the locals and yachties that seemed to be in the know, but, no one in the bay seemed to know anything about the boat. Addmittedly, I began stalking the boat hoping to catch the owner coming ahore for supplies or something. No luck. It was later, at home, that someone clued me in to the Columbia 50 and the smaller yet just as lovely Mercer 44. Hubba-hubba...
These boats just don't come cheap though. Recently a yawl-rigged Mercer 44 did sell for less than $39K. Granted, it was in the middle of a rebuild but hey-isn't that the best way to find 'em? I mean, that seems to be a common thread here.
http://mercer44.org/ and http://columbia50.com/ are spots to see a couple of these wonderful-you got it-Tripp boats.
Jason K
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Rambunctious
Boat Type: J/30

Post by Jason K »

There's a beat up one in New Orleans that the owner was trying to sell. I talked to him after he bought a Catalina and he asked if I knew anyone that would be interested. This was several months ago but the boat is still in the same slip.

It didn't go down and the rig stayed up, but there is signifiant fiberglass damage and separation at the hull/deck joint.

There's a second one with less significant damage in the marina, but I don't know if it is (actively) for sale.
- Jason King (formerly #218)
J/30 Rambunctious
http://www.rambunctiousracing.com
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Yup...I love those flush-decked, bubble-topped, long overhang Tripp Boats. I agree that there is just something to the look.

The old Hinckley 48, with similar lines and deck configuration, has often topped my list of dream hulls.

I think the flush deck accentuates the sheerline and overhangs, and the bubble cabin located far aft seems to make the boats even sleeker and appear longer than they are.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

That Mercer 44 is a beauty, but I'd have to jerk the nasty roller reefing main out. I went to Bermuda on a boat with one of those. It was a hard trip. Bad weather going over & hurricane Bertha coming back. It takes three men and a boy to take in sail, with a roller-reefing main, and there's the fear, especially when the weather's ugly, that if you do it wrong it will get bunched up and stuck in the slot. I'll grant you it sounds like a good idea, but it's not. Not on a sea boat.
Tony G
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Tony G »

Keelbolts

I'd have to agree with you on that point. With today's models, be it mast or boom mounted, main roller reefing may be better, but, the general concensus seems to be the older versions are little more than junk. They are even considered a liability by some. Quite possibly for the reasons you mentioned.

Tim

How did I ever miss a Hinckley like that!?! A quick search brought one up on Yachtworld and I agree you whole heartedly on the dream hull list...